Chileans in the United Kingdom
5,131 (2001 census)
7,139 (2011 census)
|Regions with significant populations|
|London, Midlands, South East England, North West England|
English (British English)|
Spanish (Chilean Spanish)
(Roman Catholic, Protestantism, Evangelical)
|Related ethnic groups|
|Chilean people • Latin Americans in the United Kingdom • Spaniards in the United Kingdom • Hispanic • Latino • British Chilean|
When approximately 2,500 Chilean exiles (including businessmen, professors, and students) arrived in Great Britain escaping the right wing military coup d'etat of September 11, 1973, they were met by a small community of Latin people who were already there. In the 1970s right-wingers fled the Allende administration, and later persecuted Allende's sympathizers escaped the Pinochet regime. The Chilean community has settled well in the country, and the majority are of European ancestry. The size of the Chilean British population is hard to estimate as many have gone back to Chile, or move fluidly between several places.
At the time of the 2001 UK Census, 5,131 Chilean-born people were living in the UK. The 2011 census recorded 6,456 Chilean-born residents in England, 120 in Wales, 495 in Scotland and 68 in Northern Ireland.
- Mario Aguilar, academic
- Claudio Bravo, footballer
- Santiago Cabrera, actor, played Isaac Mendez in the series Heroes
- Marcela Contreras DBE, Scientist
- Joan Jara, activist
- Olga Lehmann, 20th-century painter
- Manuel Pellegrini, football manager
- George Robledo Oliver, footballer
- Ted Robledo Oliver, footballer
- Jorge Salgado-Reyes, writer
- Alexis Sánchez, footballer for Manchester United and Chile
- Otto Schade, artist and architect
- Composición Étnica de las Tres Áreas Culturales del Continente Americano al Comienzo del Siglo XXI (PDF).
- SOCIAL IDENTITY Marta Fierro Social Psychologist. Archived February 25, 2009, at the Wayback Machine.
- massive immigration of European Argentina Uruguay Chile Brazil
- Diversity news page Archived 2009-04-05 at the Wayback Machine.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Archived from the original on 2009-06-17. Retrieved 2008-09-21.
- "2011 Census: Country of birth (expanded), regions in England and Wales". Office for National Statistics. 26 March 2013. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Country of birth (detailed)" (PDF). National Records of Scotland. Retrieved 16 May 2018.
- "Country of Birth – Full Detail: QS206NI". Northern Ireland Statistics and Research Agency. Retrieved 16 May 2018.