The Chicago Strangler is an unconfirmed serial killer, or serial killers, believed to be responsible for the deaths of a number of women in Chicago.
Span of crimes
Connection of crimesEdit
Since 2001, at least 50 women between the ages of 18 and 58 have been murdered in a similar fashion within the city of Chicago. The victims were predominantly black, typically employed as sex workers, and often had previous experiences with the justice system. Nearly all were strangled, partially or fully stripped, and then left in abandoned buildings, alleys, garbage bins, parks, or snowdrifts. 25 of the cases were closed by police, resulting in the arrest of 13 men.
A large number of the strangulations were committed in just three police districts located on the South and West sides of Chicago. Areas with histories of violent crime and drug use such as Washington Park and Garfield Park have been common locations for these murders to occur. This pattern was recognized in 2018 through the Murder Accountability Project (MAP), which reviewed over 50 unsolved strangulation and asphyxiation cases dating as far back as 2001. The algorithm used by MAP sorts unsolved homicides by location, victim, and killing method in order to identify clusters associated with low homicide clearance rates. According to MAP, these factors could be indictive of an active serial killer.
Following pressure from activists, the Chicago Police Department (CPD) announced the review of 51 unsolved murders of women. The CPD claimed there was no evidence that a serial killer was responsible for any of the 51 killings.
- "Chicago police are taking a new look at the unsolved slayings of 55 women — and the possibility a serial killer is involved. MAY 14, 2019". Chicago Tribune.
- "Is There an Active Serial Killer in Chicago?MAY 27, 2019". 27 May 2019.
- "A Serial Killer May Be Preying On Black Women In Chicago. April 16, 2019". 16 April 2019.
- "Chicago police are finally investigating whether a serial killer murdered 51 women since 2001". www.vice.com. Retrieved 2022-01-23.
- "75 women have been strangled or smothered in Chicago since 2001. Most of their killers got away.JAN 16, 2018". Chicago Tribune.
- "Is There a Serial Killer in Chicago Right Now, Strangling Women and Burning Their Bodies? JUNE 15, 2018".