Chernyshevsk (Russian: Чернышевск, IPA: [t͡ɕɪrnɨˈʂɛfsk]) is an urban settlement and the administrative center of the Chernyshevsky District, Zabaykalsky Krai. The village is located on both sides of the river Aleur at its confluence with the river Kuenga, 389 kilometers (by rail) north-east of Chita.
|Federal subject||Zabaykalsky Krai|
|Administrative district||Chernyshevsky District|
|Town status since||1938|
| • Estimate |
|• Capital of||Chernyshevsky District|
|Time zone||UTC+9 (MSK+6 )|
|Dialing code(s)||+7 30265|
Originally Aleurskaya zaimka then Popovskaya settlement, which arose no earlier than 1670. In 1851, the peasants who lived in the settlement were attributed to the Cossack estate.
In 1908, Pashenny halt was built on Amur Railway on the other side of the river Aleur. During the construction of the railway, a builders'camp appeared and later became a village. In 1921 two settlements merged into one, named Chernyshevo. In 1928, a railway halt was reorganized into Pashennaya station.
New impetus to the development of the settlement was given by the construction of new sections of the Trans–Baikal Railway in 1933–1940. In those years new locomotive and wagon depots, a power station, a post house, a new railway station house and a school appeared. In 1936, the village received People's Commissar of Railways Lazar Kaganovich and for this reason the station was named after him: imeni Kaganovicha. In September 1957, the station was renamed to Chernyshevsk-Zabaykalsky, and the settlement imeni Kaganovicha to Chernyshevsk.
- Orlov, Yu. S. "Чернышевск". Encyclopedia of Trans-Baikal Region.
- Russian Federal State Statistics Service (2011). Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года. Том 1 [2010 All-Russian Population Census, vol. 1]. Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года [2010 All-Russia Population Census] (in Russian). Federal State Statistics Service.
- "26. Численность постоянного населения Российской Федерации по муниципальным образованиям на 1 января 2018 года". Federal State Statistics Service. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "Об исчислении времени". Официальный интернет-портал правовой информации (in Russian). 3 June 2011. Retrieved 19 January 2019.
- Почта России. Информационно-вычислительный центр ОАСУ РПО. (Russian Post). Поиск объектов почтовой связи (Postal Objects Search) (in Russian)