The Chaumont viaduct
|Canton||Chaumont-1, 2 and 3|
|Intercommunality||Agglomération de Chaumont|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Christine Guillemy|
|55.26 km2 (21.34 sq mi)|
|• Density||400/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||247–416 m (810–1,365 ft) |
(avg. 314 m or 1,030 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
Historically the seat of the Counts of Bassigny and later of Champagne, Chaumont was the venue of an offensive treaty against Napoleon I signed by the United Kingdom, Austria, Prussia, and Russia in 1814. Chaumont was bombed in 1940 and 1944 during World War II. From 1951 to 1967, the United States Air Force under NATO operated the Chaumont-Semoutiers Air Base on the outskirts of the city.
|Source: EHESS and INSEE (1968-2017)|
- Edmé Bouchardon (1698–1762), sculptor
- Lucie Décosse (born 1981), judo player
- Nicole Rieu (born 1949), singer and director
- Luc Chatel (born 1964), politician
- Denis Decrès (1761–1820), Minister of the French Navy
- Jean Masson (1907–1964), politician
- Louise Michel (1830–1905), anarchist
- Christian Pineau (1904–1995), politician
- André Godard (1881-1965), architect and archaeologist
The Chaumont Volley-Ball 52, is a volleyball club playing in Pro A (volleyball), created in 1996. The club became champion of France in Ligue A during the 2016–2017 season. She twice finished second in 2017-2018 and 2018–2019 seasons. On 2 April 2017, for the first time in its history, the CVB52 became a finalist in the 2016–17 CEV Challenge Cup. On 7 October 2017 in Mulhouse, the CVB52HM won a second title by becoming champion of the French Supercup. The club also participated in the CEV Champions League and CEV Cup.
ECAC Rugby Chaumont, created in 1968. Playing in the 1st Grand-Est Series for the 2018–2019 season. The club finished second in the Burgundy Championship 2nd series 2018 and second in the Grand-Est Championship 2nd series 2019.
The Chaumont Handball 52 or ECAC Chaumont Handball, created in 1963. Playing in the National 2 women's season since 2018–2019.
ECAC Basket Chaumont, created in 1946. Playing in Regional Championship 2.
The Phénix de Chaumont, is an American football club playing in the Grand-Est Regional Challenge, finalist of the 2018 Grand-Est Regional Challenge championship.
La Chaumontaise Gymnastique, is a gymnastics club founded in 1883 under the name of "Gymnastics and Shooting Society"; it is also the oldest association in the town of Chaumont.
The Tomb Raiders of Chaumont, is a Roller in-line hockey and hockey club.
The Vélo Club Chaumontais is a cycling club created in 1923. The association is one of the oldest in the city.
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020. Retrieved 11 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Des villages de Cassini aux communes d'aujourd'hui: Commune data sheet Chaumont, EHESS. (in French)
- Population en historique depuis 1968, INSEE
- "Principales données". ville-chaumont.fr (in French). Chaumont. Retrieved 12 March 2021.
- "Owasso Welcomes Students from Chaumont, France". owassoisms.com. Owassoisms. 3 February 2017. Retrieved 12 March 2021.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Chaumont (Haute-Marne).|