Central Tilba and Tilba Tilba are two villages near the Princes Highway in Eurobodalla Shire, New South Wales, Australia. At the 2016 census, Central Tilba and surrounding areas had a population of 288 (Tilba Tilba had 95). It is the site for the television series: River Cottage Australia.
New South Wales
|Population||288 (2016 census)|
The area was originally inhabited by the Yuin Aboriginal tribe. Tilba Tilba is the original name of the district, and is said to be a Thawa Aboriginal term for "many waters". The town was settled during the Australian gold rushes of the nineteenth century. It was the home town of the Bate family of political renown.
Central Tilba is located around 10 kilometres (6 mi) south south west of Narooma and is 60 kilometres (37 mi) north of Bega. The entire village is classified by the National Trust as the Central Tilba Conservation Area.
The ABC Cheese Factory in Central Tilba was in operation from September 1891 until 2006 and it remains a local attraction. The Tilba Factory was purchased in 2012 by two local dairy farmers who installed new cheese making and milk bottling equipment, bringing back the tradition of dairy manufacture to the Tilba area. The milk bottled and cheese made on site are from two local dairy farms, one in Tilba one in Cobargo. There are 19 locals employed at the Tilba Factory where they produce award-winning cheese, yoghurt, milk and cream, all from creamy jersey milk.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (27 June 2017). "Central Tilba (State Suburb)". 2016 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 21 December 2013.
- "Tilba Tilba". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 4 August 2013.
- "Central Tilba". The Sydney Morning Herald. Archived from the original on 10 September 2006. Retrieved 1 November 2006.
- "Taken at Tilba" (PDF). National Library of Australia. 1983.
- "Century old cheese factory changes hands". Australian Broadcasting Corporation. 6 April 2006. Retrieved 1 August 2012.
- Collection of photographs including some taken by William Henry Corkhill 1846-1936 held in Pictures Collection National Library Australia
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Tilba Tilba, New South Wales.|