Electoral district of Bega
New South Wales—Legislative Assembly
Location in New South Wales
|State||New South Wales|
|Area||9,785.02 km2 (3,778.0 sq mi)|
Bega is a regional electorate in the southeastern corner of the state. It encompasses the entirety of Bega Valley Shire and Eurobodalla Shire. Its population centres include Bega, Tathra, Merimbula, Eden, Bemboka, Eurobodalla Shire, Moruya, Batemans Bay and Narooma.
In 1894, single-member electorates were introduced statewide and the two-member electorate of Eden was split into Bega and Eden-Bombala. In 1920, with the introduction of proportional representation, it was absorbed into Goulburn, along with Monaro. It was recreated in 1988. Bega has historically tended to be a safe conservative seat, although demographic change has led to the seat becoming increasingly marginal for the Liberal Party for much of the early portion of the 21st century. The margin blew out in the Liberals' 2011 landslide, along with many other Liberal-held country seats. While the Liberals suffered a 10-point swing in 2015, they still hold the seat on a margin of 8.2 percent—on the stronger side of fairly safe.
Members for BegaEdit
First incarnation (1894–1920)Edit
|Thomas Rawlinson ||Independent Protectionist||1894–1895|
|Henry Clarke ||Independent Protectionist||1895–1898|
|William Wood ||Liberal Reform||1904–1913|
|William Millard ||Liberal Reform||1913–1916|
Second incarnation (1988—present)Edit
|Russell Smith ||Liberal||1988–2003|
|Andrew Constance ||Liberal||2003–present|
|Shooters, Fishers and Farmers||Eric Thomas||3,275||6.46||+6.46|
|Animal Justice||Coral Anderson||1,371||2.70||+2.70|
|Total formal votes||50,701||97.18||+0.09|
- "Bega". New South Wales Electoral Commission. Retrieved 23 November 2019.
- "Mr Thomas Rawlinson (1847-1928)". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 23 June 2019.
- "Mr Henry Clarke (1822-1907)". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 11 May 2019.
- "The Hon. William Herbert Wood (1869-1953)". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Mr William Millard (1844–1921)". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 26 June 2019.
- "Russell Harold Lester Smith (1946- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 26 September 2019.
- "The Hon. Andrew James Constance MP". Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Bega: First Preference Votes". 2019 NSW election results. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2019.
- "Bega: Distribution of Preferences". 2019 NSW election results. NSW Electoral Commission. Retrieved 22 September 2019.