Yan was born in China and raised in Hong Kong and Washington, DC. She graduated with a bachelor's degree from Princeton University's Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs, an MBA from the New York University Stern School of Business and an MFA from the New York University Tisch School of the Arts Graduate Film Program.
After making several shorts, Yan wrote and directed Dead Pigs, her debut movie set in Shanghai. She decided to pursue the film after reading a news story about 16,000 dead pigs mysteriously floating down the Huangpu River, which she found a compelling metaphor. Funded by Chinese investors, Yan shot the dark comedy in Shanghai with a bilingual crew, then completed the film in New York; "Sixth Generation" filmmaker Jia Zhangke executive produced. Dead Pigs premiered at the Sundance Film Festival and won a Special Jury Award for ensemble acting.
In April 2018, Yan was selected to direct a Harley Quinn DC Extended Universe superhero film based on the comic Birds of Prey, with Christina Hodson writing the script and Margot Robbie attached to star. Yan will be the third woman and the first Asian woman to direct a DC film (or any US superhero film).
|Of Tooth and Time||No||No||Yes|
|According to My Mother||Yes||Yes||No|
|Sky Ladder: The Art of Cai Guo-Qiang||No||No||Associate||Documentary film|
|TBA||Birds of Prey||Yes||No||No|
- Truffaut-Wong, Olivia (2018). "What This Female Director Did When People Didn't Think She Was In Charge On Her Own Set". Bustle. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Rife, Katie (April 17, 2018). "Meet Cathy Yan, the woman hired to direct DC's next Harley Quinn movie". The A.V. Club. Retrieved 2018-05-03.
- "Cathy Yan". Tisch School of the Arts. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Kiang, Jessica (25 January 2018). "Sundance Film Review: 'Dead Pigs'". Variety. Retrieved 17 April 2018.
- Fleming, Mike Jr (17 April 2018). "Cathy Yan Is Warner Bros' Choice To Direct Margot Robbie In Next Harley Quinn Film". Deadline. Retrieved 17 April 2018.