Carla Azar is an American drummer from Alabama and member of the band Autolux. She also plays guitar, bass guitar, keyboards, and sings.
|Born||April 18, 1972|
|Genres||Alternative rock, electronic|
|Labels||30th Century Records|
|Associated acts||Autolux, Jack White, PJ Harvey, Ednaswap|
Azar played drums on Jack White's albums Blunderbuss, Lazaretto, and Boarding House Reach, and also played live on tour with him. From 2009–2011, she collaborated with painter Mark Whalen (also known as Kill Pixie) on art exhibitions, creating music for installation rooms. She had a role in the film Frank starring Michael Fassbender and Domhnall Gleeson.
The band Autolux formed in 2001 in Los Angeles. She met Eugene Goreshter while writing the score for Accidental Death of an Anarchist, a play by Nobel Prize winner Dario Fo. She met Greg Edwards while he was playing in his previous band, Failure. In August 2000, Autolux made their debut, playing two shows at the Silverlake Lounge. On March 1, 2001, the band released a self-produced EP entitled Demonstration. It contained five songs recorded on an 8 track in their rehearsal space. After impressing record producer T Bone Burnett during a performance, Autolux signed to DMZ, a record label created by Burnett and the Coen Brothers.
Carla Azar was an early member of Wendy & Lisa, a band formed by former Prince & the Revolution musicians Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman, and appeared on the albums Wendy & Lisa (1987), Fruit at the Bottom (1989) and Eroica (1990) as a drummer and backing singer, as well as in the live band during this period.
- 1987 Wendy and Lisa, Wendy and Lisa
- 1989 Fruit at the Bottom, Wendy and Lisa
- 1990 Eroica, Wendy and Lisa
- 1993 Dream Harder, The Waterboys
- 1996 Vagabundo, Draco Rosa
- 2000 Teddy Thompson, Teddy Thompson
- 2001 Fan Dance, Sam Phillips
- 2004 Curtains, John Frusciante
- 2004 A Boot and a Shoe, Sam Phillips
- 2006 The True False Identity, T Bone Burnett
- 2007 A Year in the Wilderness, John Doe
- 2007 War Stories, Unkle
- 2008 More Stories, Unkle
- 2009 A Woman a Man Walked By by PJ Harvey and John Parish (2009)
- 2010 Where Did the Night Fall (Another Night Out), Unkle
- 2011 The Lost Notebooks of Hank Williams
- 2011 The People's Key, Bright Eyes
- 2012 Blunderbuss, Jack White
- 2014 Lazaretto, Jack White
- 2014 Lost on the River, The New Basement Tapes
- 2015 Aquaria, Boots
- 2018 Boarding House Reach, Jack White
- 2018 "TV Show", Glim Spanky
- 2019 Desert Sessions Vol. 11 & 12, The Desert Sessions
- 2019 WHO, The Who
- Wiederhorn, Jon (July 27, 2005). "Trent Reznor Boosts Autolux From Clubs To Arenas". MTV News. Retrieved July 21, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Ankeny, Jason. "Autolux". AllMusic. Retrieved July 21, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Vincent Gallo – Drowning in Brown News 2002 ARCHIVE". Drowning in Brown. Retrieved May 26, 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Music: T Bone Burnett's The True False Identity In Stores May 16". Rubber Magazine. Archived from the original on September 27, 2007. Retrieved May 26, 2007. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Jack White Kicks Off His Solo Tour in Chattanooga Pictures – Carla Azar". Rolling Stone.
- "Frank – A film by Lenny Abrahamson". frank-film.com. Archived from the original on March 11, 2014. Retrieved May 13, 2014.
- "Autolux | Album Discography | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved July 21, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Carla Azar | Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved July 21, 2017. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)