This biographical article is written like a résumé. (February 2021)
Carl Chien (born 20 December 1964) is a Taiwanese businessman. Born in Taipei as the son of Fredrick Chien, Carl Chien is currently Vice Chairman Asia Pacific and CEO of Taiwan for JPMorgan. After graduating from Georgetown University with an MBA degree, Carl Chien began his financial career work on Wall Street. He left Goldman Sachs for JPMorgan Chase in March 2002.
|Born||December 20, 1964|
|Spouse(s)||Virginia Hu Chien|
Chien Shih-Liang (grandfather)
|Children||3 sons and 1 daughter|
|Alma mater||MBA, Georgetown University|
|Occupation||Vice Chairman Asia Pacific and CEO Taiwan|
- 1994-1997 Marketing Director for Asia, Morgan Stanley Asset Management, HK
- 1997 Executive Director, Goldman Sachs Asia LLC, HK
- 2002 General Manager, J.P. Morgan Chase Bank, Taiwan; spearheaded the acquisition of United World Chinese Commercial Bank by Cathay Financial Holdings
- 2004 Became the CEO of JPMorgan Chase Taiwan.
- 2005 J.P. Morgan Chase appointed by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company Limited (TSMC) for the company's US$1.5 billion ADR offering.
- 2007 Assisted Taiwan Mobile in acquiring Taiwan Fixed Network at US$2 billion, setting the record for the largest M&A in Taiwan.
- 2008 Fubon Financial's US$600 million acquisition of ING Life.
- 2009 Completed Taiwan Mobile's acquisition over Kbro Cable at US$1.8 billion.
- 2011 Led JPMorgan Chase to underwrite the overseas ECB issued by F-TPK. This deal put JPMorgan Chase in #1position of corporate finance in 2011. After F-TPK was listed for public trading, 3 out of 4 of its fund raisings were underwritten by JPMorgan Chase, which totaled US$1.185 billion in value. Carl Chien was named by Business Weekly as "Best Investment Banker in M&A and Corporate Finance".
- 2012 Assisted Fubon Group in acquiring First Sino Bank; J.P. Morgan also helped Fubon Financial Holding Company to raise US$850 million via GDR offering for the acquisition financing – demonstrated J.P. Morgan's capability of providing thorough financial services.
- 2015 Became Head of Banking, Greater China.
- 2016 Appointed as Head of Banking, North Asia (Greater China + Korea).
- 2016 Advised Hon Hai Group on the acquisition of Sharp, which was the largest cross border M&A transaction in Taiwan; also represented SPIL in the consolidation with ASE to jointly establish a holding company, which was the largest M&A transaction globally in the Outsourced Semiconductor Assembly and Test (“OSAT”) industry.
- 2017 Appointed as Vice Chairman, Asia Pacific and also CEO, Taiwan.
- Grandfather Chien Shih-Liang, former principal of National Taiwan University
- Father Dr. Fredrick Chien, former Minister of Foreign Affairs and former President of the Control Yuan.
- Mother Julie Tien, Master in Library Management, George Peabody College for Teachers, and Bachelors in western language studies, National Chengchi University
- Wife Virginia Hu Chien, who gave birth to 3 sons and 1 daughter
- ^ “A Mastermind Behind the Scenes – the only investment banker involved in the M&A of all top-four financial holding groups”; volume 619 Business Today, by Li Shu-Chi
- ^ “Carl Chien Lands Two Mega M&A Deals”; China Times 2009/09/17, by Chen Yi-Hui
- . ^ “Carl Chien Rises with F-TPK after Tripping over Wintek”; volume 1298 Business Weekly, by Hsiao Yu-An
- ^ “Investment Banker Carl Chien Comes Back Stronger from the Wintek Loss”; Commercial Times 2011/04/15, by Chang Chih-Jung