Capvis is a private equity firm focused on leveraged buyout and growth capital investments in middle-market companies across a range of industries in the Industrial Corridor of Europe (Switzerland, Germany, Italy and the Benelux).
|Predecessor||SBC Equity Partners|
|Products||Leveraged buyout, Growth capital|
|Total assets||€3.2 billion|
Number of employees
The firm was founded in 1990 as division of Swiss Bank Corporation, one of the constituent pieces that today is part of UBS AG. From 1990 through 1994, the group had approximately CHF 84 million to invest. Beginning in 1995, the group was branded SBC Equity Partners but was still a wholly owned subsidiary of Swiss Bank Corporation. SBC Equity Partners invested from a CHF 117 million vehicle, SBC Equity Partners Fund.
In 1999, shortly after the merger of Swiss Bank Corporation and Union Bank of Switzerland, the firm began to raise capital from outside investors. This first Capvis fund raised CHF 340 million of investor commitments. While UBS held approximately 40% of the firm's capital, the remainder came from Swiss and international investors.
In 2003, Capvis completed a spinout from UBS, including a buyout of the bank's ownership interest to become a fully independent private equity firm. Subsequently, the firm completed fundraising for a €340 million fund, Capvis II.
In 2008, Capvis raised €600 million for its third independent fund, Capvis III.
In 2014, the firm closed Capvis Equity IV for €720 million.
In 2018, Capvis closed middle-market fund Capvis Equity V for €1.2 billion.
- "Latham Guides Roughly $1.4B Fundraising For Capvis - Law360". www.law360.com. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Report, Plastics News. "Hennecke bought by Swiss private equity - Rubber & Plastics News". Rubber & Plastics News. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- "Investors & Funds - CAPVIS Equity Partners AG". www.capvis.com. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Capvis. Thomson's Acquisitions Monthly, July 1, 2003
- Swiss Capvis closes fund at E340m Archived February 23, 2005, at the Wayback Machine. AltAssets, June 12, 2003
- Capvis Equity partners closes second fund at €340m. eFinancial News, June 17, 2003
- Capvis Equity III closes on €600m Archived June 12, 2008, at the Wayback Machine. AltAssets, March 5, 2008
- Turra, Alessandra (26 December 2013). "Capvis Acquires Swimwear Brand Arena". WWD. Retrieved 30 December 2013.
- Pielichata, Paulina (2018-09-12). "Capvis Equity Partners closes €1.2 billion European private equity fund". Pensions & Investments. Retrieved 2018-09-12.
- Schuetze, Arno (2 March 2015). "Fashion group Bogner attracts private equity interest -sources". Reuters. Retrieved 25 May 2015.
- Allianz Capital Partners to sell BARTEC to Capvis. AltAssets, August 6, 2008
- Capvis acquires KVT for €325m[permanent dead link]., July 21, 2008
- Swiss Capvis backs management buy-out of ORIOR Food Group. AltAssets, Aug 31, 2006
- HgCapital partners with Capvis in €325m acquisition of Koenig Verbindungstechnik. AltAssets, September 19, 2008