Sodiq Abubakar Yusuf (born May 6, 1985), popularly known by his stage name CDQ, is a Nigerian indigenous hip-hop rapper and songwriter best known for his single "Nowo E Soke" featuring Wizkid and Masterkraft's Indomie where he was featured alongside Olamide. While the former is instrumental for launching his career into the Nigerian music industry, the later won him his first career award at the 2016 Nigerian Music Video Awards. Signed to his label No Struggle No Success Entertainment, CDQ's repertoire of music includes rapping in Yoruba language with addition of ad-libs such as the popular "Woss Wobi" which he invented.
|Birth name||Sodiq Abubakar Yusuf|
|Also known as||CDQ|
|Born||May 6, 1985|
Orile, Lagos State, Nigeria
|Occupation(s)||rapper, songwriter, performer|
|Labels||No Struggle No Success|
Early life and educationEdit
Sodiq Abubakar Yusuf is a native of Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria; but was born in Orile, a suburb of Lagos. Upon moving back to Lagos State from Ilorin where he had completed his secondary school education, he proceeded to further his education at Lagos State University where he graduated with a B.Sc in Economics.
The rapper shocked many as he floats the initiative by giving back to the society. He travelled to Kwara State, where he hails from to launch the scheme.
The singer also paid a courtesy visit to the Emir of Ilorin during the first day of his arrival to discuss his intentions and plans for the secondary school students within the state.
His 2-days trip was filled with activities as he and his team were well received by the school as the Principal of the school organised a special assembly gathering to receive one of their own. The musician gave writing materials and wall clocks to the students.
Speaking on the initiative, the musician’s publicist said; “The (CEEI) project is targeted at solving writing materials problems in the state as all the secondary schools in Kwara State will get to benefit from it.”
CDQ started music professionally in 2008 when he used to be a back-up singer for Da Grin before he started rapping in English language with M.I. In 2013, he signed a recording contract with Masterkraft's General Records after winning a rap battle at the weekly Industry Nite in December 2012. In 2014, he released his breakthrough single titled "Indomie" which featured vocals from Olamide while the remix of the song featured Davido. The Masterkraft-produced song brought CDQ's career to limelight and further earned him two nomination spots at the 2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards and a nomination in the Best Street-Hop Artist category at The Headies 2015.
In anticipation of his debut studio album titled Quality, CDQ enlisted the service of Wizkid with whom he released "Nowo E Soke" as a lead single off the album. The music video for the song was directed by Unlimited L.A and went on to win the Best Afro Hip Hop Video category at the 2016 edition of the Nigeria Music Video Awards. On 16 August 2016, he unveiled the cover art for the album before it was released through General Records on 22 August to positive critical reviews. On 11 November 2016, he launched his own record label N.S.N.S, a short-form for No Struggle No Success Entertainment. On 1 Feb 2017, he dropped his first official single under the platform titled ' Say Baba ' which was produced by Jay Pizzle.
(featuring Olamide and Davido)
|"Woss Wobi (Freestyle)"
|"Nowo E Soke"
|"First Come First Serve"||Non-album singles|
|"Make We Run?"|
|"Say Baba (Remix)"|
(featuring DJ Maphorisa)
|"Bye Bye Povert"|
(featuring Kiss Daniel)
(featuring Phyno and Reminisce)
(featuring Zlatan Ibile)
|"Ghana Must Go"||2019||Ibile Mugabe|
|"Entertainer (featuring Davido)|
- Ibile Mugabe
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Year||Award ceremony||Prize||Recipient/Nominated work||Result||Ref|
|2015||2015 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Best New Act to Watch||Himself||Nominated|||
|Best Collabo of The Year||"Best Collabo of The Year"||Nominated|||
|The Headies 2015||Best Street-Hop Artiste||Himself||Nominated|
|2016||2016 Nigeria Entertainment Awards||Rap Act of the Year||Nominated|
|Soundcity MVP Awards 2016||Best Hip Hop Artist||Nominated|||
|2016 Nigeria Music Video Awards||Best Afro Hip-Hop Video||"Nowo E Soke"||Won|||
|2017||2017 Ghana-Naija Showbiz Awards||Best Street-Hop Artiste||Himself||Won|||
|Next Superstar On The Roll||Nominated|||
- Rotimi Agbana (29 April 2017). "CDQ names Wizkid, Davido kings of Nigerian music - Vanguard News". Vanguard. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Tofarati Ige (28 May 2017). "I make music for the streets –CDQ". The Punch. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Mutiat Alli; Abimbola Obatayo (6 January 2016). "CDQ: On career, fashion and collabos — Daily Times Nigeria". Daily Times of Nigeria. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Helen, Ajomole (19 November 2015). "EXCLUSIVE: I Will Rather Remain Razz Than Being Posh And Broke- Famous Nigerian Artist". Naij. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- People, Famous (2019-04-09). "Rapper, CDQ Goes Back To School". Famous People Magazine. Retrieved 2021-06-12.
- "I wouldn't mind going down with Niyola - CDQ - Vanguard News". Vanguard. 28 August 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Hassan Sanusi (16 December 2016). "2016 Nigeria Music Video Awards: See the full list of winners". Nigerian Entertainment Today. Archived from the original on 11 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "CDQ to drop visuals for 'Nowo e soke' featuring Wizkid tomorrow - Nigerian Entertainment Today - Nigeria's Top Website for News, Gossip, Comedy, Videos, Blogs, Events, Weddings, Nollywood, Celebs, Scoop and Games". thenet.ng. 17 January 2016. Archived from the original on 6 May 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Akan, Joey (17 August 2017). "CDQ: Rapper's "Quality" album cover is the worst you will see this year". Pulse Nigeria. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "ALBUM REVIEW: CDQ - "Quality"". tooXclusive. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Album Review: CDQ - Quality - 360Nobs.com". www.360nobs.com. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "CDQ Unveils New Record Label N.S.N.S + Promo Photos". tooXclusive. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Solanke, Abiola. "CDQ drops another jam for the streets titled "Say baba'". Retrieved 2018-07-25.
- "DOWNLOAD: CDQ - "Salaro" (Prod. by Masterkraft) - Latest Nigerian Song". tooxclusive.com. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "MUSIC: CDQ X Wizkid – Make We Run (Prod. By Del B) - 360Nobs.com". www.360nobs.com. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "cdq ropes in dj maphorisa for the "say baba" remix". MTV Base. 10 April 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Full Winners List @ The Nigerian Entertainment Awards #NEA2015". NotJustOk. 8 September 2015. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- Johnson, Ayodele. "Soundcity MVP Awards 2016: See full list of winners". pulse.ng. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "2016 Nigeria Music Video Awards: See the full list of winners". thenet.ng. 16 December 2016. Archived from the original on 11 June 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Full List Of Winners At The 2017 Ghana-Naija Showbiz Awards". www.beatznation.com. 18 May 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017.
- "Ghana-Naija Showbiz Awards 2017 nominees list: Tmghlive.com, Sarkodie, others nominated". GhanaWeb.com. 19 March 2017. Retrieved 19 June 2017.