Britney Spears: Piece of Me Tour(Redirected from Britney: Live in Concert)
Britney Spears: Piece of Me Tour (also referred to as Piece of Me: Exclusive Limited Tour) was the ninth concert tour by American recording artist Britney Spears. Although it largely mirrors her Las Vegas residency, Britney: Piece of Me, which concluded in December 2017; the stage-show was updated with new remixes, production technology, visuals and set list modifications to accommodate for Arena shows. The tour marks Spears' first international concert tour in seven years, following the Femme Fatale Tour in 2011.
|Tour by Britney Spears|
Promotional poster for the European leg
|Start date||July 12, 2018|
|End date||September 1, 2018|
|No. of shows||
|Britney Spears concert chronology|
After performing 11 shows in during the summer of 2017 in Asia under a promotional tour titled Britney: Live in Concert, the show was adapted to be performed in various select cities across North America and Europe. The tour was announced in January 2018, and began in July. On September 5, 2018 the tour was nominated for People's Choice Concert Tour of 2018 at the 2018 People's Choice Awards.
Follwing the release of Spears' ninth studio album, Glory, she expressed interest in performing internationally again. In March 2017, after several publications began leaking details about Spears' planned international shows, she confirmed the planned tour by announcing concert dates in the Philippines and Israel. Coincidentally, her show in Israel was held on the same day as the Labor Party's primary election, which caused the election to be moved the next day due to an insufficient amount of security and traffic congestion from Spears' concert. In the weeks following the announcement, Spears revealed additional Asian tour dates. Spears performed in the Philippines, Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong and Israel for the first time during the tour. A special tour edition of her ninth studio album was released on May 31st, to coincide with the start of the tour.
Following allegations of lip-syncing during her concerts, Spears addressed the accusations during an Israeli phone interview, stating: "I do have a little bit of playback, but there’s a mixture of my voice and the playback." However, critic responses to the veracity of these claims were mixed. Days after, Spears sang a live rendition of "Happy Birthday" during her show in Singapore. The local media reported that Britney performed for over 60,000 fans at Hayrkon Park, Tel Aviv, on July 3. Due to the concert, the Israeli Labor Party delayed their election for a new chairperson by a day. It was originally scheduled for July 3, the same day as Spears's concert, but party officials feared traffic jams and that party members would choose the concert over finding a polling station.
On December 22, 2017, Spears announced she will be bringing the show to Denmark for the Smukfest. On January 23, 2018, Spears announced dates for North America and Europe. On February 13, 2018, Spears announced additional dates for the UK and Paris. Spears also announced Pitbull will join her across selected dates in Europe.
The tour has received mixed reviews. Cristina Jerome from the Miami New Times stated "The Piece of Me Tour was for Britney Spears’ day-one fans. The Princess of Pop allowed her audience to experience her career from the late '90s to the present day while sprinkling in a few hits from her latest studio album, Glory." Although complementing Spears' show production and stage presence, accusations of lip-syncing were mentioned. In defence of Spears' lip-syncing accusations, Louis Staples from The Independent reviews the record-breaking Brighton Pride concert; "It is Spears’ strength and vulnerability in the face of her troubles that most endears her to her fans. She is instantly forgiven for things that would normally sink other stars, such as her well-known aversion to live singing." Later mentioning that fans attend purely for the hits and "her glittery performance[s] proves that few people can match her cultural impact, or personify the words “icon” or “megastar” quite like her. Twenty years on, people still want a piece of Spears." On the other hand, the tour also received negative reviews especially in Europe; for instance, Inga Barthels from the German newspaper Der Tagesspiegel writes "Once upon a time, Britney Spears was one of the world's greatest stars. Not anymore." and a review by Lucia Odoom from the Danish news publication Politiken has the following title, "Britney Spears may be playing the worst concert of the century".
Demand in Europe and the United Kingdom saw ticket sites crashing, sparking Spears to add additional dates in London, Blackpool and Paris. Tickets were sold-out in under 10 minutes for her date at 3Arena in Dublin; however, with a strict touring schedule, no additional date was added. The tour was named the second best-selling female tour in the United Kingdom in 2018, according to StubHub. In Oslo, the Piece of Me Tour was performed to over 20,000 spectators, making it one of Spears' highest European (excluding the United Kingdom) concert-attendances in her touring history.
The concert in Bethlehem set a new record for the venue (previously held by The 1975), for the fastest selling tickets in the venue. Spears' first date as part of her European leg was attended by a record-breaking crowd of 57,000 at Brighton's Preston Park in conjunction with Brighton Pride. On August 11, Britney performed for 13,000 fans at Göransson Arena, Sweden, and broke the 10,500-record set by Scorpions in 2012.
This set list is representative of the show on July 12, 2018, in National Harbor, Maryland. It is not intended to represent all shows.
- "Work Bitch"
- "Break the Ice" / "Piece of Me"
- "...Baby One More Time"
- "Oops!... I Did It Again"
- "Me Against the Music"
- "Gimme More"
- "Change Your Mind (No Seas Cortés)"
- "Do You Wanna Come Over?"
- "Work It" / "Get Ur Freak On" / "WTF (Where They From)" (Dance Interlude)
- "I'm a Slave 4 U" (contains elements of "Walk It Talk It", from Migos)
- "Make Me..."
- "Do Somethin'"
- "If U Seek Amy"
- "Breathe on Me"
- "Slumber Party"
- "Touch of My Hand"
- "(You Drive Me) Crazy"
- "Till the World Ends"
This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Leg 1 — North America|
|July 12, 2018||National Harbor||United States||MGM National Harbor||N/A||—10,952
|July 13, 2018|
|July 15, 2018||Uncasville||Mohegan Sun Arena||6,998 / 7,918||$946,100|
|July 17, 2018||Bethlehem||Sands Bethlehem Center||—||—|
|July 19, 2018||Atlantic City||Borgata Event Center||—12,000
|July 20, 2018|
|July 21, 2018|
|July 23, 2018||New York City||Radio City Music Hall||—15,000
|July 24, 2018|
|July 27, 2018||Hollywood||Hard Rock Event Center||—23,000
|July 28, 2018|
|July 29, 2018|
|Leg 2 — Europe|
|August 4, 2018[a]||Brighton||England||Preston Park||Louise||N/A||N/A|
|August 6, 2018||Berlin||Germany||Mercedes-Benz Arena||Pitbull||—21,864
|August 8, 2018[b]||Skanderborg||Denmark||Skanderborg Dyrehave||MØ||N/A||N/A|
|August 10, 2018||Oslo||Norway||Telenor Arena||Pitbull||—19,000
|August 11, 2018||Sandviken||Sweden||Göransson Arena||—14,000
|August 13, 2018||Mönchengladbach||Germany||Sparkassenpark||—16,956
|August 15, 2018||Antwerp||Belgium||Sportpaleis||—12,753
|August 17, 2018||Scarborough||England||Open Air Theatre||—8,635
|August 18, 2018||Manchester||Manchester Arena||—16,670
|August 20, 2018||Dublin||Ireland||3Arena||—17,564
|August 22, 2018||Glasgow||Scotland||SSE Hydro||—12,563
|August 24, 2018||London||England||The O2 Arena||—89,675
|August 25, 2018|
|August 26, 2018|
|August 28, 2018||Paris||France||AccorHotels Arena||—17,000
|August 29, 2018|
|August 31, 2018||Birmingham||England||Genting Arena||—13,000
|September 1, 2018||Blackpool||Blackpool Tower Headland||—21,324
- Marotta, Michael (January 23, 2018). "Road Trip Red Alert: Britney Spears brings 'Piece Of Me' tour to Connecticut". Vanyaland. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "IT'S BRITNEY B*TCH!". RTÉ 2fm. Raidió Teilifís Éireann. January 23, 2018. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- "Britney Spears Announces Summer World Tour". Broadway World. Wisdom Digital Media. March 28, 2017. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Chiu, Melody (May 17, 2018). "Britney Spears Reveals Son Sean Preston, 12, Plays Tackle Football: 'I Worry — He's Still a Baby to Me'". People. Time Inc. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- McRady, Rachel (January 23, 2018). "Britney Spears Announces 'Piece of Me' Tour in Summer 2018". Entertainment Tonight. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Maslow, Nick (January 23, 2018). "Surprise! Britney Spears is taking her Las Vegas show on tour in the U.S. and Europe". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- "2018 People's Choice Awards nominees". E! Online.
- Butler, Karen (April 10, 2017). "Britney Spears' 'Piece of Me' show to close at Planet Hollywood in Vegas". United Press International. News World Communications. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Strunk, Delaney (April 6, 2017). "Israel postpones vote due to Britney Spears concert". CNN. Turner Broadcasting System. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- "Finally, Britney Spears is coming to Manila". The Philippine Star. PhilStar Media Group. March 28, 2017. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Stern, Bradley (May 1, 2017). "BRITNEY'S 'GLORY' IS GETTING A SPECIAL TOUR EDITION RE-RELEASE (IN JAPAN)". PopCrush. Townsquare Media. Retrieved October 22, 2017.
- Wass, Mike (June 27, 2017). "Britney Spears Says She Doesn't Get Enough Credit For Singing Live". Idolator. Hive Media. Retrieved July 16, 2017.
- Bond, Nick (June 28, 2017). "Renowned mime artist Britney Spears thinks she sings live". news.com.au. News Corp Australia. Retrieved July 15, 2017.
- Drysdale, Jennifer (July 5, 2017). "Britney Spears Sings 'Happy Birthday' Live After Slamming Lip Sync Rumors". Entertainment Tonight. CBS Television Distribution. Retrieved July 13, 2017.
- Mumtaz, Asif. "Watch Britney Spears Performing In Tel Aviv for 60K Crowd". All-Noise News. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Beaumount, Peter (April 5, 2017). "Oops! Britney Spears gig forces Israeli Labour party to delay leadership contest". The Guardian. Guardian Media Group. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Spears, Britney (22 December 2017). "Denmark!! See you at @Smukfest on August 8th!! #SMUK18pic.twitter.com/MI3yu6DKq7". @britneyspears. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- Read-Dominguez, Jennifer. "Britney Spears' Piece of Me Tour is coming to the UK and Ireland for the first and last time ever". Digital Spy. Giant Digital. Retrieved January 23, 2018.
- Roth, Madeline (January 23, 2018). "BRITNEY SPEARS WILL GIVE YOU A PIECE OF HER ON NEW SUMMER TOUR". MTV News. Viacom Media Networks. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Duncan, Amy (February 13, 2018). "Extra Britney Spears tickets for UK tour go on sale - when, where and how to buy". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Rossingnol, Derrick (January 23, 2018). "Britney Spears Is Taking Her Las Vegas Show On The Road". Uproxx. Uproxx Media Group. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Dinh, James (January 23, 2018). "Britney Spears Announces Summer 2018 'Piece Of Me' World Tour". iHeartRadio. iHeartMedia. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Jerome, Cristina (July 27, 2018). "Britney Spears' Piece of Me Tour at the Seminole Hard Rock Was for Day-One Fans". Miami New Times. Miami New Times. Retrieved August 11, 2018.
- Staples, Louis (August 6, 2018). "Britney Spears will keep her fans dancing til the world ends – Brighton Pride review". The Independent. Independent Print Limited. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Barthels, Inga (August 7, 2018). "Britney Spears lädt zur nostalgischen Pop-Party" [Britney Spears invites you to a nostalgic pop party]. Der Tagesspiegel (in German). Dieter von Holtzbrinck Media. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Odoom, Lucia (August 9, 2018). "1 sølle hjerte: Britney Spears spillede muligvis århundredets dårligste koncert" [1 messy heart: Britney Spears may be playing the worst concert of the century]. Politiken (in Danish). JP/Politikens Hus. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Bowman, Lisa (January 27, 2018). "Britney Spears adds extra UK date as tickets sell out and appear on eBay for over £1000". NME. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Finn, Melanie (January 27, 2018). "Britney Spears at 3Arena sold out in 10 mins - but third party sales still available". The Independent. The Independent. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- "Taylor Swift tops UK bestselling female artist list". March 8, 2018. Retrieved March 9, 2018.
- Braseth, Sofie (August 10, 2018). "Sjelløs superstjerne" [Soulful superstar]. Dagbladet (in Norwegian). Aller Media et alli. Retrieved August 12, 2018.
- Moser, John J. (January 27, 2018). "Britney Spears sells out Sands Bethlehem show in seconds: 5 reasons why". The Morning Call. Tronc. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Stolworthy, Jacob (August 5, 2018). "Brighton Pride releases statement following 'potentially deadly' chaos after Britney Spears show". The Independent. Independent Print Limited. Retrieved August 6, 2018.
- TT (August 10, 2018). "Britney Spears intar Sandviken med sågad show" [Britney Spears brings to Sandviken a musical concert]. Sydsvenskan (in Norwegian). Bonnier Group. Retrieved August 18, 2018.
- Medeiros, Kavad (July 13, 2018). "Com novidades na setlist, Britney Spears estreia sua nova turnê com show nos Estados Unidos" [With some new changes, Britney Spears kicks off her new tour with a concert in the USA]. POPline Portal (in Portuguese). Brazil. Retrieved August 4, 2018.
- Sources for tour dates in North America:
- Maslow, Nick (January 23, 2018). "Surprise! Britney Spears is taking her Las Vegas show on tour in the U.S. and Europe". Entertainment Weekly. Time Inc. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Johnson, Zach (January 23, 2018). "Britney Spears Announces Piece of Me World Tour Dates in 2018". E! News. NBCUniversal Cable Entertainment Group. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Sources for boxscore:
- Sources for tour dates in Europe:
- Picht, Jennifer (January 23, 2018). "Pop queen Britney Spears announces world tour dates for 2018". Time Out. Time Out Group. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Powell, Emma (January 26, 2018). "Britney Spears adds new London tour date amid huge demand for tickets". London Evening Standard. Retrieved January 27, 2018.
- Duncan, Amy (February 13, 2018). "Extra Britney Spears tickets for UK tour go on sale". Metro. DMG Media. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- Reilly, Nick (February 9, 2018). "Britney Spears adds new dates to 'Piece Of Me' UK tour and announces support act". NME. Time Inc. UK. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- Heward, Emily (February 9, 2018). "Britney Spears adds Blackpool Tower Festival Headland date to her UK tour". Manchester Evening News. Trinity Mirror. Retrieved March 5, 2018.
- Bullock, Andrew (March 13, 2018). "Isn't she Lucky? Louise Redknapp lands gig supporting BRITNEY SPEARS at Brighton Pride... as she continues to build her career following divorce from Jamie". MailOnline. Daily Mail. Retrieved August 13, 2018.
- "Kustnere" [Line-up]. Smukfest (in Danish). Retrieved August 13, 2018.