Boston cream doughnut
The Boston cream (pie) doughnut or donut is a round, solid, yeast-risen doughnut with chocolate frosting and a custard filling, resulting in a miniature doughnut version of the Boston cream pie.
|Alternative names||Boston cream pie doughnut|
Boston cream pie donut
|Place of origin||United States|
|Region or state||New England|
|Main ingredients||Dough, chocolate icing, custard|
The doughnut was made out of inspiration from the Boston cream pie which was, in turn, created by chef M. Sanzian at Boston’s Parker House Hotel in 1856. It is a two-layer sponge cake filled with vanilla flavored custard and topped with chocolate glaze and has been a staple to Massachusetts since its creation. The Boston Cream doughnut’s adaptation of the pie is very popular both in Massachusetts, and throughout the United States.
The head of marketing at Canadian doughnut chain Tim Horton's has claimed to be "in love" with the Boston cream doughnut and to play close attention to the packaging the company produces related to the doughnut.
State doughnut of MassachusettsEdit
Although the doughnut's popularity made it natural choice, few (if any) other US states have state doughnuts. Massachusetts state representatives have claimed that the official doughnut legislation enacted in Massachusetts is frivolous and that having a designated doughnut associated with the state can have political pitfalls.
- Ellin, Abby (2005). Teenage Waistland: A Former Fat Kid Weighs In on Living Large, Losing Weight, and How Parents Can (and Can't&) Help. New York: PublicAffairs. p. 112. ISBN 9781586482282. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Steinberg, Sally Levitt (2004). The Donut Book: The Whole Story in Words, Pictures & Outrageous Tales. North Adams, Mass.: Storey Publishing. pp. 146–147. ISBN 9781580175487. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- https://www.ereferencedesk.com/resources/state-symbols/massachusetts/donut.html. Missing or empty
- https://mobile-cuisine.com/did-you-know/boston-cream-pie-fun-facts/. Missing or empty
- https://statesymbolsusa.org/symbol-official-item/massachusetts/state-food-agriculture-symbol/boston-cream-donut. Missing or empty
- "Tim Hortons promises leaky lids on coffee cups to be phased out". Keremeos Review. 2018-08-16. Retrieved 2020-11-04.
- "Dunkin' Donuts Celebrates the Official Donut of the Commonwealth - the Boston Cream Donut" (Press release). Dunkin' Donuts. 31 January 2003. Archived from the original on 30 December 2010. Retrieved 14 January 2013.
- Anderson, L. V. (2014-08-24). "The United Sweets of America". Slate. ISSN 1091-2339. Retrieved 2020-11-04.
- "Mass.Gov Search". search.mass.gov. Retrieved 2020-11-04.
- Media related to Boston cream doughnuts at Wikimedia Commons