"Boogie Wonderland" is a single by Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions issued in April 1979 on Columbia Records. The song rose to number 14 on the disco chart, number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 and number 2 on the Hot Soul Singles chart. Boogie Wonderland was certified Gold in the US by the RIAA and Gold in the UK by the BPI.
|Single by Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions|
|from the album I Am|
|B-side||"Boogie Wonderland (Instrumental) (Vinyl)"|
|Released||May 6, 1979|
|Earth, Wind & Fire singles chronology|
- "Boogie Wonderland" was the basis for the dance song "I'm Alive" by Stretch & Vern Present "Maddog"; the song reached number 6 in the UK in September 1996.
- The song was covered by singer Victoria Wilson-James and released as a single in 1993.
- The song was also covered by U.K. jazz funk band Shakatak in their 1999 album Jazz in the Night. Maurice White's leading vocals are replaced by Bill Sharpe on the keyboard, while Roger Odell gives a techno-house drum beat to the tune. The Emotions' vocal parts as well as Philip Bailey's falsetto are rendered by Jill Saward.
- The rock band Girls Against Boys covered the song for the 1999 movie 200 Cigarettes.
- A rendition of the song was featured on the reality television competition series American Idol, during the closing minutes of the April 2, 2003 episode. It was performed by the Top 8 finalists from Season 2: Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Kimberley Locke, Josh Gracin, Trenyce, Carmen Rasmusen, Kimberly Caldwell and Rickey Smith.
- It was covered by Brittany Murphy for the soundtrack to the 2006 movie Happy Feet.
- Dutch DJ and production duo Mr. Belt & Wezol released a remix of Boogie Wonderland in 2016 on Spinnin' Records.
Appearances in other mediaEdit
- "Boogie Wonderland" has been featured in the American films Roller Boogie, Madagascar, Happy Feet, Don't Look Under the Bed, Billy & Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure, The Mirror Has Two Faces, Caddyshack and The Nice Guys, as well as the French film The Intouchables.
- It was in the 23rd episode of Season 9 of U.S. TV series The Office.
- A remix of the song was used in the arcade game Dance Dance Revolution 3rdMIX, and the original version appeared later in Hottest Party 3.
- "Boogie Wonderland" has been made into different variations by The Ohio State University Marching Band, the Southern University Marching Band, Tennessee State University's Aristocrat of Bands, and the Marching 100.
- The song is used in the Australian play, Priscilla: the Musical.
- The song is used as the theme for The Steve Czaban Show on Yahoo! Sports Radio.
- The song appeared in video games, Rabbids Go Home and Just Dance 3.
- The song is used as the theme for a Pro Wrestling Noah wrestler Muhammad Yone.
The information regarding accolades attributed to "Boogie Wonderland" is adapted from AcclaimedMusic.net.
|Gary Mulholland||U.K.||This Is Uncool: The 500 Best Singles Since Punk Rock||2002||*|
|Dave Marsh||U.S.||The 1001 Greatest Singles Ever Made||1989||737|
|Bruce Pollock||U.S.||The 7,500 Most Important Songs of 1944-2000||2005||*|
|The Guardian||UK||1000 Songs Everyone Must Hear||2009||*|
(*) designates lists that are unordered.
- Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions: Boogie Wonderland (Liner notes and text). Columbia Records. April 1979.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Hot Dance/Disco: 1974-2003. Record Research. p. 86.
- Whitburn, Joel (2004). Top R&B/Hip-Hop Singles: 1942-2004. Record Research. p. 179.
- "Earth, Wind & Fire". grammy.com.
- "Chart Stats Stretch 'N' Vern Presents 'Maddog' - I'm Alive".
- "American Idol: Not The Final Coundown!". TV.com. Retrieved June 26, 2012.
- American Idol. Season 2. Episode 23. April 2, 2003. FOX.
- "Ultratop.be – Earth Wind and Fire – Boogie Wonderland" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Boogie Wonderland". Irish Singles Chart. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- "NL Top40 - Search Results Boogie Wonderland". Retrieved 2018-10-30.
- "NZ Top 40 Singles Chart | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1979-07-22. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-06-02. Retrieved 2016-05-11.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- Steffen Hung. "Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions - Boogie Wonderland". Lescharts.com. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Australian Chart Book". Austchartbook.com.au. Archived from the original on 2016-03-05. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Image : RPM Weekly - Library and Archives Canada". Bac-lac.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Top Selling Singles of 1979 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart". Nztop40.co.nz. 1979-12-31. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Top Singles 1979". Music Week. London, England: Spotlight Publications. 22 December 1979. p. 27.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1979/Top 100 Songs of 1979". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2016-04-12.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Earth, Wind & Fire with The Emotions: Boogie Wonderland". Acclaimed Music.