Norman Balbuena (born November 7, 1986), better known in his stage name Boobay, is a Filipino actor, comedian and television host. He is best known for appearing in several GMA News and Public Affairs shows as a co-host. He was also a regular host in the award-winning comedy-game show Celebrity Bluff as a gangnammm along with Edu Manzano, Brod Pete and host Eugene Domingo.
|Birth name||Norman Balbuena|
|Born||November 7, 1986|
San Narciso, Zambales, Philippines
|Alma mater||Saint Louis University (Philippines)|
|Notable works and roles||The Boobay and Tekla Show|
Born in the small town of San Narciso in Zambales province, Boobay is the eldest among the four children of Honorio Balbuena, a soldier, and Aquilla Balbuena, a retired elementary teacher. He was in grade school when Mt. Pinatubo erupted in 1991, this caused him and his family to dwell in an evacuation site for two years after their house was destroyed by the eruption. Despite the hardships, Boobay finished grade school in Zambales. He pursued his college education at St. Louis University – Baguio taking AB Communication where he earned a scholarship upon joining the theater group Tanghalang SLU.
In 2004, Boobay first tried his luck in show business by joining GMA Network's KiliTV Comedy Hunt, a talent competition for comedians. Although he did not win the contest, he made the cut and became one of the top 15 finalists.
Seeing potential in the aspiring comedian, director Cesar Cosme called Boobay for a TV project that year. Cosme gave Balbuena the screen name “Boobay” because he thought the comedian looked like the sexy comedian Ethel Booba. After that, Boobay had several guestings in Idol Ko si Kap doing character spoofs of Rufa Mae Quinto and Ethel Booba.
After graduating, he submitted a résumé to GMA Network hoping to become a production assistant. It was Cosme who gave him his break when he was referred to become part of Takeshi's Castle with Joey de Leon and Ryan Yllana.
2007 – Present: Kapuso comedianEdit
Boobay started his hosting stints as a Kapuso in several programs of GMA News TV. He is a recurring host in the reality-lifestyle program Day Off. Boobay was also one of the "anchors" of the satirical newscast television program May Tamang Balita with Ramon Bautista, Maey Bautista and Jinri Park where he hosted the segments "Ang Twit-twit Mo!" and "Bulag na Katotohanan" alongside Maey.
In 2012, Boobay was picked as one of the three major hosts of the new season of Extra Challenge along Marian Rivera and Richard Gutierrez. He then replaced Wally Bayola in the comedy-game show Celebrity Bluff as a "bluffer" or known as celebrity gangnammm in 2013.
It was in 2015 when Boobay joined the cast of Ismol Family where he played the role of Lora the Explorer, the caretaker of "The Bekiry". The same year, he voiced the character of Fulgoso in the 2015 remake of MariMar starring Megan Young and Tom Rodriguez.
Boobay starred in his very first dramatic role when he played the life story of Paul John Presado, the dubsmasher who went viral after posting his video on social media while singing in a jeepney in Magpakailanman: Ang Ganda na 'di Nakikita. It is in the same year when Boobay once again showed his acting prowess in a more serious role in Magpakailanman: Una Siyang Naging Akin with actress Glaiza de Castro.
Boobay is now a co-host of the weekly entertainment news and comedy talk show CelebriTV and a regular guest in various GMA Network and GMA News TV programs such as Kapuso Mo, Jessica Soho, AHA!, Sunday PinaSaya and others. Recently, Boobay joined the cast of Eat Bulaga's Kalyeserye as Yaya Pak, one of the four applicants of Lola Nidora's new yaya (nursemaid). In 2016, he became the co-host of Yan Ang Morning! with Marian Rivera until its cancellation on the same year, and Unang Hirit until 2018. He is currently hosts The Boobay and Tekla Show with Super Tekla since 2019.
|2016–2017||Yaya Pak In Kalyeserye;
Mother Goose, Quiz Vee Contestant/Lider
|2011–2019||Recurring co-host||GMA News TV|||
Ang Pagong at Matshing
Soap Opera Sisters
Una Siyang Naging Akin
The Paul John Presado Story: Ang Ganda na 'Di Nakikita
A Transgender Love
|Vonda||GMA News TV|||
Madaling Araw, Mahabang Gabi
|Year||Film award / Critics||Recipient / Nominated work||Award||Result||Ref.|
|2021||Best Choice Awards||Most Outstanding Stand Up Comedian||Won|
|PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Reality Program Host/s (with the hosts of Day Off)||Nominated|
|Best Stand-up Comedian||Nominated|
|PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Educational Program Host/s (with Drew Arellano)||Nominated|
|PMPC Star Awards for Television||Best Reality Program Host/s (with the hosts of Extra Challenge)||Nominated|
|Best Stand-up Comedian||Nominated|
- Landingin, Ria (January 11, 2013). "Boobay: From soldier's son to comic wonder". GMA News. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Mendoza, Ruel R. (November 8, 2012). "Extra Challenge co-host Boobay reveals serious side behind the funny mask". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Boobay Recalls Trials In Life". Yahoo.com. Manila Bulletin. October 15, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Boobay at Boobsie, magiging mga lion dancer sa 'Day Off'". GMA News. February 6, 2016. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Karambola, Kontrobersya at Kwarta sa 'May Tamang Balita'". GMA News. October 2, 2012. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Espinosa, Aries B. (October 20, 2012). "All systems go for new 'Extra Challenge'". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Sun, Cherry (August 28, 2015). "Boobay, bibigyang-boses si Fulgoso ng 'MariMar'". GMA Network. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Miralles, Nitz (April 9, 2016). "Kabata-bata pa dami na agad kita Marian nag-open ng bank account para kay Baby Z". The Philippine Star. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "AlDub Day 210 Yayapak". Youtube.com. Eat Bulaga! Youtube. March 31, 2016. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "CelebriTV Ep. 24: Boobay vs. Antonietta!". GMA Network. February 26, 2016. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Acar, Aedrianne (April 6, 2015). "Is there room for one more beki in 'Ismol Family?'". GMA Network. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Celebrity Bluff: Boobay's funniest moments". Youtube.com. GMA Network Youtube. November 27, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Fernandaz, Rica (December 27, 2012). "An extra explosive 'Extra Challenge' awaits fans in 2013". GMA News. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Bela Padilla and Boobay as mami vendors in Binondo - Day Off". GMA News. GMA Network. March 4, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Dear Uge Ep. 7: Soap opera sisters". GMA Network. GMA Network. April 1, 2016. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Magpakailanman presents 'Una S'yang Naging Akin'". GMA Network. GMA Network. November 25, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Boobay stars in his first 'Magpakailanman' episode this Saturday". GMA Network. GMA Network. September 18, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Carla Abellana and Rafael Rosell on 'Dangwa'". GMA Network. GMA Network. November 20, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Karelasyon: Sugar Daddy". IMDb.com. Internet Movie Database. May 16, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "'A Transgender's Love,' tampok ngayong Sabado sa 'Wagas'". GMA News. October 7, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Dimaculangan, Jocelyn (November 8, 2012). "RED CARPET WATCH: Madaling Araw, Mahabang Gabi". Philippine Entertainment Portal. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Si Agimat at si Enteng Kabisote (2010) Full Cast & Crew". IMDb.com. Internet Movie Database. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- Sun, Cherry (March 22, 2021). "Boobay, Tekla, at 'TBATS,' wagi sa Best Choice Awards". Retrieved March 28, 2021.
- "Nominees for the 29th Star Awards for TV bared; Kapuso Alden Richards competes against six Kapamilya stars for Best Drama Actor". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 9, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "Aliw Awards 2015 Nomination Announcement". musicalplayphilippines.com. Musical Play Philippines. November 5, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "28th Star Awards for Television nominees revealed". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 6, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2018.
- "ABS-CBN dominates nominations for 27th Star Awards for Television". Philippine Entertainment Portal. November 9, 2013. Retrieved May 7, 2018.