Bolton upon Dearne is a village in the Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley, South Yorkshire, England, in the part of the Dearne Valley through which the River Dearne passes. Historically part of the West Riding of Yorkshire, it is approximately 7 miles (11 km) east of Barnsley, 10 miles (16 km) west of Doncaster and 8 miles (13 km) north of Rotherham.
In the early 18th century Barnsley attorney William Henry Marsden Esquire of Burntwood Hall bought the Manor of Bolton on Dearne with Goldthorpe with over 1,000 acres (4 km2) of land for £10,000. Bolton upon Dearne and Goldthorpe are recorded in the 1761–1767 Inclosure Awards. The Marsden family continued to hold the manor until 1815.
Bolton upon Dearne became part of Doncaster Rural District under the Local Government Act 1894 until 1899, when it became a separate urban district. Bolton upon Dearne Urban District was abolished in 1937 under a County Review Order, becoming part of the large Dearne Urban District, along with Thurnscoe and part of Barnburgh parish. At the 2011 Census the village in the Dearne South Ward of the Barnsley Metropolitan Council had a population of 6,744.
There are three primary schools in the village: Carrfield School, Heather Garth Primary School and Lacewood. The main secondary school in the area is Astrea Academy Dearne, which caters for around 1,200 pupils aged 11 to 16 years.
The Church of St Andrew the Apostle is on the corner of High Street and Angel Street. It was a 10th-century church with alterations made throughout the centuries. There is a Methodist Church on Furlong Road founded in 1832. There was a Roman Catholic church on Station Road, but this closed in the late 1980s, and became an electrical goods shop.
- UK Census (2011). "Local Area Report – Bolton Upon Dearne Built-up area (1119884706)". Nomis. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Kirkby, John (1284). The Survey of the County of York, Taken by John de Kirkby, Commonly Called Kirkby's Inquest. p. 10.
- "£1 Million Upgrade at Bolton on Dearne Station". Network Rail Media Centre. 16 January 2007. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
- Vessey, Alex (20 January 2011). "Happy New Year... happy new school!". South Yorkshire Times. Archived from the original on 20 April 2012. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Abson, Fred (1986). A history of Furlong Road Methodist church, Bolton-upon-Dearne.
- "Bolton Athletic: FA Cup statistics". WildStat.com. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- "Bolton United: FA Cup statistics". Wildstat.com. Retrieved 10 May 2015.
- Thomson, Robert, ed. (29 June 2006). "Wing Commander George Unwin". The Times. No. 68739. p. 63. ISSN 0140-0460.
- The Inclosure Awards of 1761-67 for Bolton on Dearne with Goldthorpe.
- Media related to Bolton upon Dearne at Wikimedia Commons