Bolko III of Strzelce
Bolko III of Strzelce (also known as of Opole; Polish: Bolko III Strzelecki (or Opolski); c. 1337 – 21 October 1382) was a Duke of Opole during 1356–1370 (with his brothers as co-rulers) and Duke of Strzelce from 1375 until his death.
|Duke of Opole, Strzelce|
Tombstone of Bolko III and his wife Anna
|Died||21 October 1382|
|Noble family||Silesian Piasts of Opole|
|Spouse(s)||Anna (of Oświęcim?)|
|Father||Bolko II of Opole|
|Mother||Elisabeth of Świdnica|
After his father's death in 1356, Bolko III and his brothers Władysław Opolczyk and Henry inherited Opole as co-rulers; however, the full government was held by the oldest brother, Władysław Opolczyk.
Bolko III spent much of his time at the courts of King Charles in Prague and King Louis I in Buda. In 1355, Bolko III, with several other Silesian Dukes, went to Italy with King Charles of Bohemia, who came to Rome for his coronation as Holy Roman Emperor; ten years later, in 1365, he made a journey from Luxembourg to Avignon, and in 1377, together with King Louis I of Hungary and Władysław Opolczyk, he made a military expedition to Bełz.
Bolko III died on 21 September 1382 and was buried in the Franciscan chapel of St. Anna in Opole. Upon his death, his title passed to his four sons as co-rulers. Because his sons were minors, their guardianship was held by his uncle Władysław Opolczyk.
Marriage and issueEdit
- This theory is supported by two facts. First, the introduction of the name Jan in the Opole branch. Second, one of the entries of the books of the Dominican Chapter of Oświęcim (14th century) in which two women appear as direct relatives of Duke Jan I: one of them was probably Jan I's mother Euphrosyne and the other his daughter. Source (JAN I SCHOLASTYK (OŚWIĘCIMSKI)).
- Marek, Miroslav. "Complete Genealogy of the House of Piast". Genealogy.EU.[self-published source][better source needed]
- Cawley, Charles, SILESIA, Medieval Lands database, Foundation for Medieval Genealogy,[self-published source][better source needed]
- Genealogical database by Herbert Stoyan
- Genealogy of Dukes of Opole
Bolko III of StrzelceBorn: c. 1337 Died: 21 October 1382
| Duke of Opole
| Duke of Strzelce