Bob Cousy Award
The Bob Cousy Award presented by The College of the Holy Cross (or Bob Cousy Collegiate Point Guard of the Year Award) is an annual basketball award given by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the top men's collegiate point guard. It is named after six-time National Basketball Association (NBA) champion Bob Cousy, who played point guard for the Boston Celtics from 1950 to 1963. Cousy won six championships with the Celtics.
|Bob Cousy Award|
|Given for||The nation's top male point guard in NCAA Division I basketball|
|Presented by||The College of the Holy Cross|
|Most recent||Ja Morant, Murray State|
Annually, a list of players is nominated by college head coaches, members of College Sports Information Directors of America (CoSIDA), and members of the National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC). A screening committee of CoSIDA members reviews the nominations, and selects 16 players from each division (12 from National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I, and two each from Division II and III). A selection committee appointed by the Hall then selects the winner. This 30-member committee is composed of Hall of Famers, head coaches, sports information directors, the media, and Cousy himself.
When Maryland's Greivis Vásquez won the award in 2010, the Venezuelan became the first player born outside the U.S. to receive this award. The University of North Carolina has fielded the greatest number of award winners (3), with Raymond Felton winning the award in 2005, Ty Lawson receiving the honor in 2009 and Kendall Marshall winning in 2012.
|*||Awarded a National Player of the Year award: |
the Naismith College Player of the Year or the John R. Wooden Award
|Player (X)||Denotes the number of times the player has been awarded the Bob Cousy Award|
|2003–04||Jameer Nelson*||Saint Joseph's||Senior|
|2004–05||Raymond Felton||North Carolina||Junior|
|2006–07||Acie Law||Texas A&M||Senior|
|2007–08||D. J. Augustin||Texas||Sophomore|
|2008–09||Ty Lawson||North Carolina||Junior|
|2011–12||Kendall Marshall||North Carolina||Sophomore|
|2016–17||Frank Mason III*||Kansas||Senior|
|2018–19||Ja Morant||Murray State||Sophomore|
Winners by schoolEdit
|North Carolina||3||2005, 2009, 2012|
- Nancy Lieberman Award – the counterpart to the Bob Cousy Award; given to the nation's top NCAA female point guard.
- "Award Info". Bob Cousy Award. Archived from the original on February 8, 2009. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- "Bio: Bob Cousy". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. Retrieved May 3, 2009.
- "University of Texas Point Guard D.J. Augustin Selected Winner of 2008 Bob Cousy Award presented by The Hartford". Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. April 3, 2008. Archived from the original on July 5, 2008. Retrieved May 4, 2009.
- Pascoe, Bruce (April 7, 2018). "Arizona's Ayton Wins Karl Malone Award". Arizona Daily Star. Tucson, Arizona. p. B004 – via Newspapers.com.