Bipin Tripathi Kumaon Institute of Technology
This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
In the city of Dwarahat, Bipin Tripathi Kumaon Institute of Technology, formerly Kumaon Engineering College (KEC), is an autonomous engineering and technology institute in the Almora district in state of Uttarakhand, India.
बिपिन त्रिपाठी कुमाऊँ प्रौद्योगिकी संस्थान , द्वाराहाट
|Motto||उत्तिष्ठत जाग्रत प्राप्य वरान्निबोधत|
It is financed by the government of Uttarakhand and managed by the Board of Governors with the Minister of Technical Education Government of Uttarakhand as the Chairman and Secretary of Technical Education as Vice-Chairman. Originally affiliated to UTTARAKHAND TECHNICAL UNIVERSITY, it is now a completely autonomous institute.
The college was established by the government of Uttar Pradesh in 1986 and started functioning in 1991. Now the institute is named after the renowned Uttarakhand movement activist Bipin Chandra Tripathi.
The foundation of college was under the guidance of Narayan Dutt Tiwari, Govt. of India on 20 April 1986, during the reign of late Chief Minister Vir Bahadur Singh; 155 acres of land were allotted for college by the UP Govt.
Academic session in B.E.[where?] was started with two branches, CSE and ECE, in 1991 with a well-planned educational program, similar to the one followed at IITs and RECs/NITs for the development of technology & engineering education facilities in the Kumaon Region. Seeing the availability, capability, and usefulness of land, the college prepared a master plan and project report regarding development in 1996, which was approved by the administrative council.
At present, the institute runs seven graduate engineering programs — Computer Science & Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Biochemical Engineering — and three postgraduate programs: Masters of Computer Applications, Master of Technology (M. Tech) in CSE and Mechanical departments.
Besides this, the institute started PhD programs in 2016. The institute offers other infrastructural facilities for faculty and students, such as hostels, staff residential campus, departmental buildings, student’s activity club and a multipurpose hall have been developed. An atmosphere conducive to learning and all-round personality development of the students is being created. Emphasis is being laid on self-discipline and mutual respect.
The college is in the hilly region of Dwarahat on Kathgodam-Ranikhet-Karnaprayag National Highway (87-E), about 30 km from Ranikhet and about 3 km from Dwarahat near Gauchar village. The nearest railway station is at Kathgodam (118 km).
The college is spread over an area of 155 acres (0.6 km2) at an altitude of 1450 meter in a quiet, congenial, hilly and pollution-free environment with a picturesque view.
The summer is pleasant with a max of 30 °C for a few weeks; for rest of the time, the weather remains cool.
The Dunagiri and Panduakhal temples are at the outskirts of Dwarahat.
The institute is administered by an autonomous society named "Bipin Tripathi Kumaun Institute of Technology Dwarahat Society" which is registered under Societies Registration Act. The memorandum of association, society rules, bye-laws and employees conduct rules are duly approved by the Uttarakhand state government. The institute enjoys freedom with regard to internal administration and functioning.
The Administration Section of BTKIT, Dwarahat is headed by a registrar and functions under the overall supervision of the principal.
The following functions/duties being performed by the Administration Section:
- All establishment matters pertaining to the teaching and non-teaching employees of the institute.
- Maintenance of their Service Books and Personal Files of all employees.
- Legal cases.
- Disciplinary cases.
- Conducting of meetings of Board of Governors and KEC Society.
- Recruitment of regular, ad hoc and contract employees and maintenance of Roster Register.
- Processing of Career Advancement and Assured Career Progression Cases.
- Printing of Advertisements on behalf of the institute.
- Central Dispatch work.
- Vigilance cases.
The college has departments that offer seven B.Tech degree programs in Electrical Engineering, Electronics & Communication Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Bio-chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering & Chemical Engineering.
The college provides three M.Tech degrees programs in VLSI (ECE), Thermal Engineering (ME) and Computer Science & Engineering (CSE). The institute is offers a three-year degree program in Master of Computer Applications.
The college started offering the Doctor of Philosophy degree (Ph.D.) as part of its doctoral education programme in disciplines from July 2016.
The national-level techfest Aarohan was being organised in the odd semester every year.
The college has eight departments:
The college has a Central Library, which is open access. Students and staff have access to a large number of books and journals, besides many competitive and technical magazines. The library is procuring about 14 international journals and 50 national journals. It is the heart of academic and research activities of BTKIT. It has been catering to the needs of faculty members, research scholars, and students on campus. It has huge volumes of books and e-journals which cover the disciplines of Technology, Computer Science, Management, Humanities, Applied Science and other related areas.
The library with its modern collection of knowledge resources andn essential role for the academic community in their intellectual pursuits at BTKIT. It is provided to students, staff and faculty members for updating their knowledge and supporting the research and teaching/learning activities. These services are provided through the central library and departmental libraries.
The library consists of 45000 books with around 6000 titles and ahas of national and international journals and magazines for enhancing the knowledge of the students. In addition, the institute has Digital Library with complete study material from NPTEL and VISIONET. Online library facility is also provided to students to help them in getting better books.
The library, however, lacks variety - there is a dearth of fiction books (novels, timeless classics, poetries, etc). Most of the books are the ones to be distributed among the students for the following academic year. The library needs an overhaul for books of different genres.
The college has nine boys' and three girls' hostels and one transit hostel. Regardless , the shortage of space and privacy has always been a cause of concern for the students at BTKIT. In many hostels, more students are accommodated than the supposed number. New Boy's Hostel and Vindhyanchal hostel were built as a set of single rooms for individual students but currently, 2 or 3 students are living in one room of the hostel thereof.
One boys' hostel (180 single seated) is under construction. The following are the hostels in KEC:
- Aravali Hostel [90 X 2] BTech, final year and MCA 2nd Year Boys
- Trishul Hostel [25 X 2], MCA First Year Boys and M.Tech Boys
- Nanda Devi Hostel [60 X 3] B.Tech, Second Year Boys
- Shivalik Hostel [30 X 2] B.Tech, First Year Boys
- Gaumukh Hostel [60 X 3] B.Tech, First Year Boys
- Gangotri Hostel [60 X 3] B.Tech, Final Year Girls
- Kailash Hostel [120 X 2] B.Tech, Final and Second Year Boys
- Yamunotri Hostel [60 X 2] MCA, Pre-Final Year and B.Tech Second Year girls
- Nalanda Hostel [60 X 1] First Year Girls
- Transit Hostel [60 X 1] First Year Girls
- Vindhyachal Hostel [125 X 1] B.Tech, Third Year, Final Year Civil
- New Boys Hostel [120 X 1] MCA, 2nd Year and B.Tech, Third Year
- Saraswati Hostel MCA, Pre-Final Year Girls and B.Tech, Pre-Final Year Girls
There are 5000+ alumni spread across the world who have fueled growth of the nation, Indian and multinational companies.
- Dr. Ankur Singh (Biochemical, 2004), Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering and Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University, USA
- Dr. Arun Kumar Singh (Electronics,2000), Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Jodhpur, India 
- Mr. Vinod Pandey (Electronics, 2007), CTO/Co-founder Mycbseguide, backed by makemytrip company
- Dr. Chandramani Kishore (Electronics, 2003), Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India
- Dr. Shailesh Kharkwal ( Biochemical, 2006), Water scientist and CEO EnviroSens , NUS Singapore
- Mr. Himanshu Joshi ( Electronics, 2007), Co-Founder Toprankers, a career net company 
- Mr. Harish Goswami ( Computer Science, 2008), Co-Founder Toprankers & ViDU.Tech, a career net company 
- Dr. Abhay Kotnala (Electronics,2007), Research Scientist, University of Texas at Austin
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 8 November 2013. Retrieved 29 August 2012.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "HOW TO REACH". kecua.ac.in. Archived from the original on 14 December 2016. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Administration | Bipin Tripathi Kumaon Institute of Technology, Dwarahat". kecua.ac.in. Archived from the original on 14 December 2016. Retrieved 5 December 2016.
- "Phd Notice" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 February 2017.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 5 March 2014. Retrieved 5 March 2014.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 20 June 2018. Retrieved 2 June 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)