Bill Johnson (pastor)
This article appears to contain a large number of buzzwords. (August 2018)
Bill Johnson (born July 18, 1951) is an American Christian minister and evangelist from the charismatic wing of the evangelical tradition of protestant Christianity and is the senior leader of Bethel Church in Redding, California. He has appeared on television segments aired on the Christian Broadcasting (CBN) and Trinity Broadcasting networks, on Sid Roth's It's Supernatural, and in several faith-based documentaries, he is an author, functions as an itinerant speaker and has been featured on the cover of Charisma magazine and has been the focus of several magazine articles.
|Birth name||Bill Johnson|
|Born||July 18, 1951|
|Spouse||Brenda "Beni" Johnson|
Johnson is a fifth-generation pastor and has held the position of Senior Pastor at Bethel Church since 1996. He is known for leading a church and Christian movement that is focused on pursuing the Holy Spirit gifts and manifestations in everyday life, based on the simple premise that God is good. His father, M. Earl Johnson, previously held the Senior Pastor position from 1968 to 1982, when Bethel Church was part of the Assemblies of God. Prior to this position, Johnson, along with his wife, served as the Senior Pastors of Mountain Chapel in Weaverville, California from 1978 to 1996.
Johnson attended a John Wimber signs and wonders conference in 1987 with the specific goal of seeking a revival of healing. He left discouraged because he had been teaching the same concepts John Wimber had been teaching, but the outcome was drastically different. Johnson states that this discouragement brought about a realization that faith required risk, and after this realization, the healing miracles began to happen. He traveled to Toronto, Canada in 1995 to attend some of the Toronto Blessing revival meetings. Johnson recounts receiving a fresh touch from God at these meetings that focused his life's work on pursuing the Holy Spirit and the gifts of the Spirit.
In 1998, Johnson, along with Bethel Senior Associate Leader Kris Vallotton, started the Bethel School of Supernatural Ministry to train students to become revivalists.
Johnson has appeared in multiple documentaries, including Father of Lights and Holy Ghost Reborn, produced by Darren Wilson. He has also been interviewed and highlighted in several CBN news stories. He was featured on the cover of Charisma magazine in August 2016 with a story titled "Born for Revival." Johnson was also a guest on Sid Roth's It's Supernatural in October 2016. Johnson was featured in the 2018 documentary American Gospel: Christ Alone as a prominent figure in the prosperity gospel movement, emphasizing supernatural miracles as evidence of salvation. Johnson has also the been the subject of criticism.
In 2016, Bill Johnson outlined why he voted for Donald Trump in a Facebook post, where he criticized abortion, open borders, the welfare system, same-sex marriage, socialism, political correctness and globalization, all as contrary to God's will. His wife and senior pastor, Beni Johnson, has also supported Donald Trump.
Bill Johnson opposes homosexuality calling it a sin and "violation of design". In a Facebook video blog he elaborated on the issue stating that "God did not make those human bodies to come together, to fit, in that way".
In 2018, his church publicly opposed three bills in the California state legislature that would have restricted conversion therapy as they felt the bills might have restricted their ministry. Their opposition included a released statement, letters to legislators and encouragement of congregants to contact legislators through a sermon titled "What Would Jesus Do in a PC World?" by senior associate leader of the church Kris Vallotton and tweets, also by Vallotton, that specifically addressed those that had "come out of homosexuality".
- When Heaven Invades Earth (Destiny Image Publishers, 2003) ISBN 0-7684-2952-8
- The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind (Destiny Image Publishers, 2005) ISBN 0-7684-2252-3
- When Heaven Invades Earth Devotional & Journal (Destiny Image Publishers, August 2005) ISBN 0-7684-2297-3
- Shifting Shadow of Supernatural Power: A Prophetic Manual for Those Wanting to Move in God's Supernatural Power (co-author) (Destiny Image Publishers, August 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2369-4
- Dreaming With God (Destiny Image, December 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2399-6
- The Supernatural Ways of Royalty (co-author) (Destiny Image Publishers, 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2323-6
- The Supernatural Power of a Transformed Mind 40-Day Devotional and Personal Journal (Destiny Image, September 2006) ISBN 0-7684-2399-6 ISBN 0-7684-2375-9
- Here Comes Heaven!: A Kid's Guide to God's Supernatural Power (co-author) (Destiny Image, October 2007) ISBN 0-7684-2502-6
- Face to Face with God (Charisma House, 2007) ISBN 978-1-59979-070-1
- Strengthen Yourself in The Lord (Destiny Image Publishers, 2007) ISBN 0-7684-2427-5
- A Life of Miracles: A 365-day guide to prayer and miracles (Destiny Image, February 2008) ISBN 978-0-7684-2612-0
- Strengthen Yourself in the Lord (Audio Book) (Destiny Image, February 2008) ISBN 0-7684-2610-3
- Release the Power of Jesus ISBN 978-0-7684-2712-7
- The Essential Guide to Healing (co-author) (Chosen Books, 2011) ISBN 978-0-8007-9519-1
- Hosting the Presence (Destiny Image Publishers, 2012) ISBN 9780768441291
- Experience the Impossible (Chosen Books, 2014) ISBN 978-0-8007-9617-4
- Defining Moments (Whitaker House, 2016) ISBN 978-1-6291-1547-4
- God is Good (Destiny Image Publishers, 2016) ISBN 978-0-7684-3716-4
- The Way of Life (Destiny Image Publishers, 2018) ISBN 978-0-7684-4272-4
- Johnson, Beni. The Happy Intercessor. Destiny Image, 2009, pg. 21.
- Showalter, Brandon. Bethel Church Pastor Bill Johnson on Jesus' Lifestyle, Miracle Healings Today (Interview). The Christian Post, 2016.
- "Leadership Archive | Bethel Church". www.bethel.com. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- Jones, Martin W. Inside the Popular, Controversial Bethel Church. Christianity Today, 2016
- Biography. Bill Johnson Ministries Retrieved on April 12, 2017
- Johnson, Bill. When Heaven Invades Earth Destiny Image, 2003, pg. 88
- Bill Johnson Film Credits. IMDb. Retrieved October 8, 2017
- Strant, Paul. Living a Life of Miracles. CBN TV. Retrieved April 7, 2017
- Strant, Paul Miracles Outside the Church Walls. CBN TV. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Staff Writer.Born for Revival. Charisma Magazine, 2016
- Roth, Sid. Guest: Bill Johnson. It's Supernatural. Retrieved October 8, 2017
- Jones, Martyn Wendell. "Inside the Popular, Controversial Bethel Church". ChristianityToday.com. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Carter, Joe. "9 Things You Should Know About the Bethel Church Movement". The Gospel Coalition. Retrieved October 23, 2019.
- Lodge, Carey (November 10, 2016). "Bethel Church's Bill Johnson: Why I Voted For Trump". Christian Today. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- Gledhill, Ruth (December 8, 2016). "Pastor Bill Johnson Condemns Homosexual Practice As 'Violation' Of God's Design". Christian Today. Retrieved March 10, 2020.
- Johnson, Bill. "Video Blog #9 'Sin is a violation of Design...'". Retrieved March 10, 2020.[non-primary source needed]
- Hitt, Tarpley (July 20, 2019). "The Mystical Megachurch Ruling Over Soccer Star Megan Rapinoe's Hometown". The Daily Beast. Retrieved December 21, 2019.
- Sandhu, Amber (March 28, 2018). "Bethel comes out against LGBT bills pending in state Legislature". Record Searchlight. Retrieved December 29, 2019.