BigQuery is a fully-managed, serverless data warehouse that enables scalable analysis over petabytes of data. It is a Platform as a Service (PaaS) that supports querying using ANSI SQL. It also has built-in machine learning capabilities. BigQuery was announced in May 2010 and made generally available in November 2011.
Type of site
|Platform as a service data warehouse|
|Launched||May 19, 2010|
BigQuery provides external access to Google's Dremel technology, a scalable, interactive ad hoc query system for analysis of nested data. BigQuery requires all requests to be authenticated, supporting a number of Google-proprietary mechanisms as well as OAuth.
- Managing data - Create and delete objects such as tables, views, and user defined functions. Import data from Google Storage in formats such as CSV, Parquet, Avro or JSON.
- Query - Queries are expressed in a standard SQL dialect and the results are returned in JSON with a maximum reply length of approximately 128 MB, or an unlimited size when large query results are enabled.
- Integration - BigQuery can be used from Google Apps Script (e.g. as a bound script in Google Docs), or any language that can work with its REST API or client libraries.
- Access control - Share datasets with arbitrary individuals, groups, or the world.
- Machine learning - Create and execute machine learning models using SQL queries.
- Iain Thomson (November 14, 2011). "Google opens BigQuery for cloud analytics: Dangles free trial to lure doubters". Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- Sergey Melnik; Andrey Gubarev; Jing Jing Long; Geoffrey Romer; Shiva Shivakumar; Matt Tolton; Theo Vassilakis (2010). "Dremel: Interactive Analysis of Web-Scale Datasets". Proc. of the 36th International Conference on Very Large Data Bases (VLDB).
- Kazunori Sato (2012). "An Inside Look at Google BigQuery" (PDF). Retrieved August 26, 2016.
- "SQL Reference". Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "Quota Policy". Retrieved 26 June 2017.
- "BigQuery Service | Apps Script | Google Developers". March 15, 2018. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "BigQuery Client Libraries". Retrieved 26 June 2017.