Bhutto family mausoleum
|Mazar Zulfikar Ali Bhutto|
|Location||Garhi Khuda Bakhsh, Sindh, Pakistan|
|Governing body||Shaheed Bhutto Mazar Committee|
The history of the mausoleum began in 1979 when Zulfikar Ali Bhutto was buried here. This was already then the ancestral graveyard of the Bhutto family.
Benazir Bhutto initiated the construction of the mausoleum. Initial construction was done during 1993 to 1997 with architect Zaigham Jaffery. He visited Khomeini and Atatürk's mazars to seek inspiration and also tried to incorporate elements from the Shalimar Gardens, Lahore.
The revised design by Waqar Akbar Rizvi included five domes and four iwans like the Taj Mahal. The building is covered with white marble. Glazed tiles inscribed with calligraphy and fresco work and based on Sindhi Hala patterns have been used.
Those buried here include:
- Sir Shah Nawaz Bhutto
- Shah Nawaz's wife, Lady Khurshid
- Shah Nawaz's three children:
- Sikander Bhutto
- Imdad Ali
- Zulfikar Ali Bhutto
- Zulfikar's children
- Zulfikar's wives Shireen Amir Begum and Nusrat Bhutto.
On the anniversary of the death of Benazir Bhutto, large crowds gather at the site.
- "Pakistan buries former first lady Bhutto". Yahoo! News. Retrieved 28 October 2011.
- Benazir's dead body reaches Garhi Khuda Bakhsh - Dawn
- The making of Garhi Khuda Buksh, October 25, 2011
- Shirin Amir Begum, the widow of former prime minister late Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, died of cardiac arrest here on Sunday-DAWN
- Commemoration or deification? Pakistanis honor 'martyred queen' Benazir Bhutto, Waj S. Khan, NBC News, Jan 2, 2013
|This Sindh location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|