Bergera is a genus of flowering plants in the family Rutaceae. It has been included in Murraya as M. sect. Bergera. Species that may be placed in the genus are native from India through southeast Asia eastwards to China and Taiwan southwards to Malesia and New Caledonia. The curry tree, Bergera koenigii, is one of the better known species.
|Leaves and flowers of Bergera koenigii|
The genus name Bergera was first published by Johann Gerhard König in 1771. Bergera was accepted as a separate genus for several decades after König's description, but was later united with the genus Murraya (for which Bergera had been rejected as a name). In 1986, Paul P.-H. But and co-authors separated off some species of Murraya as M. sect. Bergera based on chemical evidence. The later creation of a separate genus for the section was further supported by evidence from pollen morphology in 2009 and molecular phylogenetic evidence in 2017. The genus is accepted in a 2021 classification of the family Rutaceae, which was based on a major molecular phylogenetic study of the family. As of September 2021[update], Plants of the World Online continues to unite it with Murraya.
The genus is reported to contain ten or more species. Species of Murraya that may be placed in Murrya sect. Bergera and hence in Bergera include:
- "Bergera J.Koenig", The International Plant Names Index, retrieved 2021-09-21
- Esser, Hans-Joachim (2021), "Taxonomic notes on the Rutaceae of Thailand", Thai Forest Bulletin (Botany), 49 (1): 27–31, doi:10.20531/tfb.2021.49.1.02
- But, Paul Pui-Hay; Kong, Yun-Cheng, Ng Kam-Hung, Chang Hung-Ta, Li Qian, Yu Si-Xao, Waterman Peter G.; Ng, Kam-Hung; Chang, Hung-Ta; Li, Qian; Yu, Si-Xao & Waterman, Peter G. (1986), "A Chemotaxonomic Study of Murraya (Rutaceae) in China", Journal of Systematics and Evolution (in Chinese and English), 24 (3): 186–192, retrieved 2021-09-21
- Mou, Feng-Juan & Zhang, Dian-Xiang (2009), "Pollen morphology supports the reinstatement of Bergera (Rutaceae)", Nordic Journal of Botany, 27 (4): 298–304, doi:10.1111/j.1756-1051.2009.00369.x
- Mou, Fengjuan; Tu, Tieyao; Chen, Yi-Zhang; Zhang, Dianxiang & Zhang, Dianxiang (2017), "Phylogenetic relationship of Clauseneae (Rutaceae) inferred from plastid and nuclear DNA data and taxonomic implication for some major taxa", Nordic Journal of Botany, 36 (3): 1–12, doi:10.1111/njb.01552
- Appelhans, Marc S.; Bayly, Michael J.; Heslewood, Margaret M.; Groppo, Milton; Verboom, G. Anthony; Forster, Paul I.; Kallunki, Jacquelyn A. & Duretto, Marco F. (2021), "A new subfamily classification of the Citrus family (Rutaceae) based on six nuclear and plastid markers", Taxon, doi:10.1002/tax.12543
- "Bergera J.Koenig", Plants of the World Online, Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, retrieved 2021-09-21
- Zhang, Dianxiang & Hartley, Thomas G., "Murraya", in Wu, Zhengyi; Raven, Peter H. & Hong, Deyuan (eds.), Flora of China (online), eFloras.org, retrieved 2021-09-21