Beni Suef Governorate
Beni Suef Governorate
Beni Suef Governorate on the map of Egypt
|Seat||Beni Suef (capital)|
|• Governor||Hani Abdul-Jaber Mohammed Ibrahim|
|• Total||1,322 km2 (510 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (EET)|
This governorate's capital is the city of Beni Suef, located about 120 km south of Cairo on the west bank of the Nile River. The area is well known in Egypt for its cement factories. The nearby Meidum pyramid is the only prominent tourist attraction in the area.
Due to different ways of transcribing the spelling it can also be known as Beni Suef, or Beni Swaif.
The rate of poverty is more than 60% in this governorate but recently some social safety networks have been provided in the form of financial assistance and job opportunities. The funding has been coordinated by the country's Ministry of Finance and with assistance from international organizations.
The governorate is divided into the following municipal divisions for administrative purposes with a total estimated population as of July 2017 of 3,171,186. In some cases a markaz and a kism share a name.
|Anglicized name||Native name||Arabic transliteration||Population
(July 2017 Est.)
|El Fashn||مركز الفشن||Al-Fashn||470,846||Markaz|
|El Wasta||مركز الواسطى||Al-Wāsiṭā||493,368||Markaz|
|Beni Suef||قسم بنى سويف||Banī Suwayf||235,867||Kism (fully urban)|
|Beni Suef||مركز بنى سويف||Banī Suwayf||431,278||Markaz|
|New Beni Suef||قسم مدينة بنى سويف الجديدة||Madīnat Banī Suwayf al-Jadīdah||27,873||Kism (fully urban)|
|Sumusta El Waqf||مركز سمسطا||Sumusṭā al-Waqf||277,235||Markaz|
According to population estimates from 2015 the majority of residents in the governorate live in rural areas, with an urbanization rate of only 23.2%. Out of an estimated 2,856,812 people residing in the governorate, 2,193,871 people live in rural areas as opposed to only 662,941 in urban areas.
According to the Egyptian Governing Authority for Investment and Free Zones (GAFI), in affiliation with the Ministry of Investment, the following industrial zones are located in this governorate:
- Kom Abu Radi industrial zone
- Baiad Al Arab industrial zone
- Industrial zone 31-1
- Industrial zone 31-2
- Industrial zone 31-3
- Industrial zone 31-4
- Gabal Ghareb - heavy industry
- New Beni Suef industrial zone
- "Population Estimates By Governorate ( Urban /Rural ) 1/1/2018". www.capmas.gov.eg. Archived from the original on 2018-11-02. Retrieved 10 October 2018.
- "رسمياً.. المحافظون الجدد ونوابهم يؤدون اليمين الدستورية أمام الرئيس". Almasry Alyoum (in Arabic). 30 August 2018. Archived from the original on 2018-08-31. Retrieved 2018-08-31.
- "Sub-national HDI - Area Database - Global Data Lab". hdi.globaldatalab.org. Retrieved 2018-09-13.
- "Banī Suwayf GOVERNORATE, EGYPT". britannica.
- "Social Solidarity Ministry to provide citizens with disabilities financial support". Egypt Independent. 25 July 2017. Retrieved 11 December 2018.
- "Beni Suef Governorates Subdivisions". CityPopulation.de. Archived from the original on 2018-04-28. Retrieved 2018-11-24.
- "Markazes of Egypt". statoids.com. Gwillim Law. Archived from the original on 2017-10-19. Retrieved 26 November 2018.
- "Population Estimates By Sex & Governorate 1/1/2015" (PDF). CAPMAS. Archived (PDF) from the original on 19 October 2015. Retrieved 23 October 2016.
- "Industrial Zones of Governorate". Ministry of Investment Egypt. Archived from the original on 2018-11-23. Retrieved 23 November 2018.
- "Beni Suef Industrial Map". benisuef.gov.eg. Beni Suef Gov Egypt. Archived from the original on 2013-12-27. Retrieved 25 November 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Beni Suef Governorate.|