Belmont railway station (Sutton)
Belmont railway station serves the village of Belmont in the London Borough of Sutton in south London. The station is located on the Epsom Downs line, part of the Sutton & Mole Valley Line services of the Southern, and is in Travelcard Zone 5. It is 16 miles 1 chain (25.77 km) down the line from London Bridge measured via West Croydon.
|Local authority||London Borough of Sutton|
|Number of platforms||1|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|22 May 1865||Opened as California|
|1 October 1875||Renamed Belmont|
|London transport portal|
The station was opened by the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway on 22 May 1865, as part of the Epsom Downs branch line. The branch was originally laid as double track because of the race traffic, and was electrified on 17 June 1928. A modern CLASP (pre-fabricated concrete) building was erected in the 1970s (this has since been demolished and cleared away). The branch was singled in 1982 and all trains use the former down platform. The Up platform still exists however. The station itself has a ticket machine, cycle storage huts and a shelter for passengers to wait in during rain.
The station was originally named 'California', and was changed to 'Belmont' on 1 October 1875.
As of 2016, the station ranks as the tenth least busy within Greater London, with approximately 152,000 passenger journeys annually. The typical off-peak service (Monday to Saturday) from the station is:
- "Network Map". Southern. Retrieved 2 January 2010.
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- Yonge, John (November 2008) . Jacobs, Gerald (ed.). Railway Track Diagrams 5: Southern & TfL (3rd ed.). Bradford on Avon: Trackmaps. map 22. ISBN 978-0-9549866-4-3.
- Butt, R.V.J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations. Yeovil: Patrick Stephens Ltd. pp. 51, 32. ISBN 1-85260-508-1. R508.
- https://www.networkrail.co.uk/running-the-railway/timetabling/electronic-national-rail-timetable/ (Timetable No. 172, May 2018)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Belmont (Sutton) railway station.|
- Train times and station information for Belmont railway station (Sutton) from National Rail
- Map of Mole Valley lines
- The Epsom Downs branch website
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Epsom Downs Branch