Bedum (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈbeːdɵm] (listen), Gronings: Beem) is a former municipality and a town in the northeastern Netherlands. Populated by inhabitants in 2019, Bedum is one of the larger of Groningen's several satellite towns. On 1 January 2019 it merged with the municipalities of De Marne, Eemsmond and Winsum to form the new municipality Het Hogeland.
Church in Westerdijkshorn
Location in Groningen
|• Total||44.96 km2 (17.36 sq mi)|
|• Land||44.57 km2 (17.21 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.39 km2 (0.15 sq mi)|
|Elevation||−1 m (−3 ft)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
Bedum is the site of three supermarkets, several pubs, and a leaning church tower, dubbed "the leaning tower of Bedum". Footballer Arjen Robben was born in Bedum (23 January 1984).
Bedum has a railway station - Bedum railway station.
The leaning towerEdit
Bedum's 36-metre tower of the St Walfridus church has been calculated as now leaning at a greater angle than the Leaning Tower of Pisa. If both towers were the same height, Bedum's would have a greater displacement by 6 cm.
- 1860-1873 J.H. Leopold (previously mayor of Adorp)
- 1873-1878 W.J. Bekker
- 1878-1895 R.J. van Bruggen
- 1895-1909 dr H.V. Schleurholts
- 1909-1914 Simon Berman (previously of Kwadijk, Warder, and Middelie and of Schagen, subsequently of Alblasserdam)
- 1914-1917 Klaas van Sevenhoven (ARP) (previously of Stedum, subsequently of Onstwedde)
- 1917-1943 M. Jouwstra (ARP) (previously town clerk of Ambt Hardenberg)
- 1943-194? I.G. Timmer (NSB)
- 19??-1962 J.N. Spoelstra
- 1962-1971 J.C. Lindeboom (ARP)
- 1971-1991 Albert Smallenbroek (ARP/CDA)
- 1991-2009 Wilte Everts (CDA)
- 2010-2017 Henk Bakker (CDA)
- 2017-2018 Erica van Lente (PvdA, acting)
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 9781JL". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 14 January 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Dutch say Pisa no longer Europe's most leaning tower, Reuters, 28 August 2009
- "De Wiel Coerver Methode" (in Dutch). Vvjps.nl. Archived from the original on 21 April 2003. Retrieved 3 August 2008.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bedum.|
- Official website
- J. Kuyper, Gemeente Atlas van Nederland, 1865-1870, "Bedum". Map of the municipality around 1868.