Location in Groningen
|Established||1 January 1979|
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Marijke van Beek (PvdA)|
|• Total||543.35 km2 (209.79 sq mi)|
|• Land||189.81 km2 (73.29 sq mi)|
|• Water||353.54 km2 (136.50 sq mi)|
|Elevation||2 m (7 ft)|
|• Density||82/km2 (210/sq mi)|
|Area code||0595, 0596|
The municipality of Hefshuizen was established on 1 January 1979 by merging the municipalities of Uithuizen and Uithuizermeeden. On 1 January 1990, the municipalities of Kantens, Usquert, and Warffum were added. On 1 January 1992, the name of the municipality was changed from Hefshuizen to Eemsmond, which means Ems Mouth.
The population centers in the municipality are: Eemshaven, Eppenhuizen, Kantens, Oldenzijl, Oosteinde, Oosternieland, Oudeschip, Roodeschool, Rottum, Startenhuizen, Stitswerd, Uithuizen, Uithuizermeeden, Usquert, Warffum, and Zandeweer.
To the north of Eemsmond is the North Sea. Part of the Wadden Sea, a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 2009, is located in the municipality, including the sandbank Simonszand and the uninhabited islands Rottumeroog, Rottumerplaat, and Zuiderduintjes. The northernmost point of the Netherlands is located at Rottumerplaat.
Eemsmond hosted the start of stage 4 at the 2013 Energiewacht Tour.
- Willem Surenhuis (c.1664 in Rottum – 1729) a Dutch Christian scholar of Hebrew
- Hendrik Bulthuis (1865 in Warffum – 1945) a Dutch customs official, author and translator of more than thirty works into Esperanto
- Frits Peutz (1896 in Uithuizen – 1974) architect
- Aldert van der Ziel (1910 in Zandeweer – 1991) a Dutch physicist who studied electronic noise processes
- Molly Geertsema (1918–1991) politician and jurist, Mayor of Warffum 1953-1957
- Seth Gaaikema (1939 in Uithuizen – 2014) cabaret artist, writer, and lyricist
- Ede Staal (1941 in Warffum – 1986) a Dutch singer-songwriter, sang mainly in Gronings dialect
- "Samenstelling college" [Members of the board] (in Dutch). Gemeente Eemsmond. Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten" [Key figures for neighbourhoods]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 2 July 2013. Retrieved 12 March 2014.
- "Postcodetool for 9981AA". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 20 January 2014.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 27 October 2017. Retrieved 27 October 2017.
- (in Dutch) Ad van der Meer & Onno Boonstra, Repertorium Nederlandse gemeenten vanaf 1812, 2e editie, Data Archiving and Networked Services, 2011. Retrieved 21 August 2015.