Band Aid (film)
Band Aid is a 2017 American comedy-drama film, written and directed by Zoe Lister-Jones in her directorial debut. It stars Lister-Jones, Adam Pally, Fred Armisen, Susie Essman, Retta, Hannah Simone, Ravi Patel and Brooklyn Decker. Lister-Jones also co-wrote the original songs in the film with multi-instrumentalist Kyle Forester.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Zoe Lister-Jones|
|Written by||Zoe Lister-Jones|
|Edited by||Libby Cuenin|
|Distributed by||IFC Films|
With the exception of actors, the film was produced with an all-female crew. The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2017. It was released on June 2, 2017, by IFC Films.
- Zoe Lister-Jones as Anna
- Adam Pally as Ben
- Fred Armisen as Dave
- Susie Essman as Shirley
- Hannah Simone as Grace
- Retta as Carol
- Ravi Patel as Bobby
- Brooklyn Decker as Candice
- Erinn Hayes as Crystal Vichycoisse
- Jesse Williams as Skyler
- Jamie Chung as Cassandra Diabla
- Nelson Franklin as Ned
- Angelique Cabral as Lauren
- Majandra Delfino as Maria
- Gillian Zinser as Sheena
In July 2016, it was announced Zoe Lister-Jones would write, direct, produce and star in the film alongside Hannah Simone, Colin Hanks, Brooklyn Decker, Jesse Williams, Susie Essman, Ravi Patel, Jamie Chung, Chris D’Elia, and Jerry O'Connell. Lister-Jones is serving as a producer under her Mister Lister banner, alongside QC Entertainment who will finance the film. Lucius composed the film's score.
It was filmed with an all-female crew.
The film had its world premiere at the 2017 Sundance Film Festival on January 24, 2017. Shortly after, IFC Films and Sony Pictures Worldwide Acquisitions acquired U.S and international distribution rights, respectively. It was released on June 2, 2017.
Band Aid received positive reviews from film critics. It holds an 85% approval rating on review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 54 reviews, with a weighted average of 6.9/10. The site's critical consensus reads, "Band Aid tells a solidly affecting story of a relationship on the rocks -- and marks star Zoe Lister-Jones, who also wrote and directed, as a tremendous triple threat worth watching." On Metacritic, the film holds a rating of 67 out of 100, based on 21 critics, indicating "generally favorable reviews".
Andrew Barker of Variety gave the film a positive review, writing: "It lives and dies on Lister-Jones and Pally's chemistry, which the film is just as willing to test as to nurture." Sheri Lindin of The Hollywood Reporter also gave the film a positive review, writing: "An exuberantly low-key charmer that uses a light, wry touch to tackle such weighty matters as artistic drive and inertia and the male–female divide, while offering new fuel for drummer jokes." David Ehrlich of Indiewire also gave the film a positive review, writing: "The sweet and sincere Band Aid makes a convincing case that relationships are all about how you heal from them."
- "Band Aid". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved June 12, 2017.
- Kroll, Justin (July 19, 2016). "Zoe Lister-Jones Makes her Directorial Debut with Indie 'Band Aid'". Variety. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Kit, Borys (July 19, 2016). "Zoe Lister-Jones, Adam Pally and Fred Armisen Starring in Indie Comedy 'Band Aid'". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Zoe Lister-Jones 'Band Aid' to Feature Music by Lucius". FilmMusicReporter. January 15, 2017. Retrieved January 18, 2017.
- Slead, Evan (July 20, 2016). "Zoe Lister-Jones makes directorial debut with Band Aid". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Lincoln, Kevin (June 2, 2017). "Zoe Lister-Jones Made Her First Movie With an All-Female Crew". Vulture. Retrieved November 25, 2017.
- "2017 SUNDANCE FILM FESTIVAL: COMPETITION AND NEXT LINEUP ANNOUNCED". Sundance Film Festival. November 29, 2016. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- "Band Aid". Sundance Film Festival. Retrieved January 6, 2017.
- Hipes, Patrick (February 3, 2017). "Zoe Lister-Jones' Sundance Pic 'Band Aid' Acquired By IFC Films & Sony Worldwide". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved February 3, 2017.
- D'Alessandro, Anthony (March 14, 2017). "IFC's 'Band Aid' Will Turn Up The Music This Summer". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved March 14, 2017.
- "Band Aid (2017)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved February 1, 2017.
- "Band Aid". Metacritic. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Barker, Andrew (January 24, 2017). "Sundance Film Review: 'Band Aid'". Variety. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Linden, Sheri (January 24, 2017). "Band Aid". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved May 30, 2017.
- Ehrlich, David (January 24, 2017). "'Band Aid' Review: Zoe Lister-Jones And Adam Pally Rock Their Marriage Back To Life In a Sincere Music Comedy — Sundance 2017". Indiewire. Retrieved May 30, 2017.