Bakhyt Beshimbekovich Akhmetov (Kazakh: Бахыт Бешимбекович Ахметов, Bahyt Beşimbekovich Ahmetov; born March 27, 1979 in Shymkent) is a Kazakhstani weightlifter. He is a three-time Olympian and a two-time medalist for the 94 and 105 kg classes at the Asian Games.
|Full name||Bakhyt Beshimbekovich Akhmetov|
|Born||27 March 1979|
Shymkent, Kazakh SSR
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||105 kg (231 lb)|
Formerly a member of the Kyrgyzstan team, Akhmetov made his official debut for the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney, where he hauled 367.5 kilograms in total for a fifteenth-place finish in the men's middle heavyweight class (94 kg). In 2002, Akhmetov achieved his early success by capturing the gold medal in the same category at the Asian Games in Busan, South Korea.
Akhmetov was also considered a top medal contender, when he competed at the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens, representing his birth nation. He lifted a total of 390 kg in the men's 94 kg class, finishing only in seventh place by five kilograms short of the clean and jerk record from Turkey's Hakan Yılmaz.
At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, Bakhmetov competed this time for the men's heavyweight class (105 kg), against several top-class weightlifters, including world record holders Marcin Dołęga of Poland Andrei Aramnau of Belarus. During the competition, he successfully lifted 190 kg in the single-motion snatch, and hoisted 225 kg in the two-part, shoulder-to-overhead clean and jerk, for a total of 415 kg. Bakhmetov finished the event in fifth place by five kilograms short of Dołęga's overall record (420 kg). For being the most experienced member, Bakhmetov also became Kazakhstan's flag bearer in the opening ceremony.
- Evans, Hilary; Gjerde, Arild; Heijmans, Jeroen; Mallon, Bill; et al. "Bakhyt Akhmetov". Olympics at Sports-Reference.com. Sports Reference LLC. Archived from the original on 18 April 2020. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "The China magic on show: Qatari Assad Assad Said Saif was a surprise winner in the 105 kg category". Sports Star. 26 October – 1 November 2002. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- Auf Der Heyde, Peter (6 December 2006). "China strengthen hold on medals table (Roundup)". Monsters & Critics. Archived from the original on 28 January 2013. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Ahed Joughili gives Syria first Asiad weightlifting gold in 24 years". People's Daily Online (China). 7 December 2006. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "Men's 105kg (231 lbs)". NBC Olympics. Archived from the original on 30 July 2012. Retrieved 30 December 2012.
- "List of Flagbearers Beijing 2008" (PDF). Olympics. Retrieved 30 December 2012.