Badmaanyambuugiin Bat-Erdene (Mongolian: Бадмаанямбуугийн Бат-Эрдэнэ) is a Mongolian politician and athlete. Bat-Erdene is widely regarded in Mongolia as one of the successful, long lasting and celebrated wrestlers. He was also Defense Minister of Mongolia from 2016 to July 2017.
|Minister of Defense|
23 July 2016 – 20 October 2017
|Preceded by||Tserendashiin Tsolmon|
|Succeeded by||Nyamaagiin Enkhbold|
|Born||7 June 1964|
|Political party||Mongolian People's Party|
He was born on June 7, 1964 in Ömnödelger sum of Khentii aimag, Mongolia. He graduated from secondary school in 1982. He graduated from the Military Institute of the Mongolian People's Army in 1990 with a degree in law. He is married with 3 daughters. He speaks Russian and English.
Between 1988-1999, Bat-Erdene won 11 national level tournaments in the Naadam. He was awarded with medals for his achievements including from the government. His rank/title in wrestling is "Dayar dursagdah, dalai dayan, tumniig bayasuulagch, darkhan avarga Bat-Erdene" literally meaning "Renowned by all, oceanic, makes people happy, strong titan Bat-Erdene" essentially the highest rank possible in Mongolian wrestling in Mongolia. He retired from wrestling in 2006.
Bat-Erdene established and owns Avarga (Champion) University which trains wrestlers, trainers and sportsmen in Ulaanbaatar.
Bat-Erdene has been a member of the State Great Khural from 2004 being elected three times from his native Khentii province on behalf of Mongolian People's Party. In 2009-2010 he worked as the chairman of the Legal Standing Committee of the State Great Khural. As a member of parliament, Bat-Erdene has been active in talking to protect nature and homeland against irresponsible mining.
Mongolian People's Party selected him as its candidate for 2013 Presidential election. Incumbent President Tsakhiagiin Elbegdorj, candidate of Democratic Party won at 2013 Mongolian presidential election on June 26, 2013 with 50.23% of total votes while Bat-Erdene got 41.97%, and Natsagiin Udval, candidate of Mongolian People's Revolutionary Party got 6.5% of total votes.
On 23 July 2016, 90.6 percent of the members of parliament voted in favor of appointing Bat-Erdene as the Minister of Defense.
- "Бадмаанямбуугийн Бат-Эрдэнэ | Parliament". archive.is. 2018-09-08. Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- "Тойрог №50: Бадмаанямбуугийн БАТ-ЭРДЭНЭ: Товч танилцуулга". archive.is. 2018-09-08. Archived from the original on 2018-09-08. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- Falconer, Rebecca. "Resource wealth key to 'Minegolia' poll". www.aljazeera.com. Retrieved 2021-05-27.
- "MP Bat-Erdene will run in the presidential election representing Mongolian People's Party". www.infomongolia.com. Ulaanbaatar. May 6, 2013. Archived from the original on June 6, 2013. Retrieved June 22, 2013.
- D., Tsetseg (June 27, 2013). "It is announced that Ts.Elbegdorj won by preliminary result". shuud.mn (in Mongolian). Archived from the original on June 29, 2013. Retrieved June 27, 2013.
- "Incumbent Mongolian president wins 2nd term on pro-Western, anti-graft platform". The Washington Post. Washington. June 27, 2013. Archived from the original on June 29, 2013. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
- "Зарим яамдын сайдууд томилогдлоо". sonin.mn (in Mongolian). Retrieved 2021-05-27.