|Look up عزيز in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Aziz (Arabic: عزيز, ʿazīz, [ʕaziːz]) was originally a Northwest Semitic Phoenician-Aramaic-Hebrew-Arabic word, but is now much more commonly (but not exclusively) known as a Central Semitic Arabic male name. The feminine form of both the adjective and the given name is Aziza.
Aziz in Arabic is derived from the root ʕ-z-z with a meaning of "strong, powerful" and the adjective has acquired its meaning of "dear, darling, precious". It is a cognate of Hebrew oz meaning "might, strength, power". The Semitic word refers to the "power and glory" of deities and kings. In the Latinised form "Azizus" it is attested as the name of one of the Priest-Kings who ruled Emesa (the modern Homs, Syria) as clients of the Roman Empire.
Al-Aziz is one of the names of God in Islam, and the word is also used as a royal title borne by the high nobles of Egypt, being a title borne by the prophet Joseph in the Quranic Surah-e-Yusuf, and also by the Biblical Potiphar, referred to in the Quran as Aziz.
It is used in existing Semitic languages such as Arabic, Assyrian Neo Aramaic, Mandic, Hebrew, and also in non-Semitic languages like Turkish, Kurdish, Azerbaijani, Persian, Urdu, Pashtu, Dari, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Turkmen, Uzbek, Uyghur, Balochi, Bengali, Somali, Indonesian, and Malaysian.
- Aziz Ansari, Indian-American stand-up comedian and actor
- Aziz Azion, Ugandan R&B singer-songwriter
- Aziz Behich, Australian footballer
- Aziz Ibrahim, British guitarist
- Aziz Mian, Pakistani singer
- Aziz Nesin, Turkish humorist and author
- Aziz Sancar (born 1946), Turkish scientist and 2015 Nobel laureate in Chemistry
- Aziz Shavershian, Russian-Australian bodybuilder and internet personality of Kurdish descent
- Aziz Yıldırım, Turkish businessman
- Aaron Aziz, Singaporean actor
- Arif Aziz, Azerbaijan artist and educator
- Douglas Aziz, Assyrian Iraqi footballer
- Lisa Aziz, British television presenter and journalist
- Philip Aziz, Canadian artist of Lebanese ancestry
- Ricardo Azziz, university president
- Riza Aziz, Malaysian producer
- Shaukat Aziz, Pakistani Prime Minister
- Tariq Aziz (born Mikhail Yuhanna), ethnic Assyrian former Iraqi Deputy Prime Minister under Saddam Hussein
- Tipu Aziz, Professor of neurosurgery at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford University
- Aziza (disambiguation) (equivalent feminine name)
- Abdul Aziz, Arabic theophoric name
- Azziz (disambiguation)
|This page or section lists people that share the same given name or the same family name. If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change that link to point directly to the intended article.|