Ayuba Philibus Wabba (born 22 October 1968) is a Nigerian trade union leader. He was returned as the President of the Nigeria Labour Congress for another four years during the unions leadership elections on 6 February 2019.
Ayuba Philibus Wabba
|Born||22 October 1968|
|Alma mater||Imo State University|
|Organization||Nigerian Labour Congress International Trade Union Confederation|
Early life and education edit
Born in Borno State, Wabba attended school in Kawo, and then various institutions including the Imo State University. During this period, he served as president of the National Union of Health Technology Students.
After leaving education, Wabba began working for the Medical and Health Workers' Union of Nigeria, becoming first its secretary in Borno State, then as the union's national president. In 2007, he was elected as national treasurer of the Nigeria Labour Congress, then in 2015 became its president. In 2018, he was elected as president of the International Trade Union Confederation. Wabba is an opponent of proposed Nigerian participation in the African Continental Free Trade Area.
Wabba is also the Fiwagboye of Orile-Ifo and the Zanna Ma'alama of Borno Emirate. In one of his recent struggles with the government, the governor of Kaduna State declared him wanted with other NLC officials for alleged economic sabotage and attack on public infrastructure in the state. The NLC president responded by saying he is waiting to be arrested by the government and that the five days strike was not about him but about the welfare of the workers in Kaduna State. Workers from different minsteries and cadres of the civil service joined in the protest withdrawing their services for the five days due to shortage of civil servants in the public service in the state after some of them were sacked by the state government.
- Jannah, Chijioke (2019-02-06). "Ayuba Wabba wins second term election as NLC president". Daily Post Nigeria. Retrieved 2021-06-05.
- "Ayuba Wabba". ITUC. Archived from the original on 19 January 2021. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- "WABBA, Comrade (Dr.) Ayuba". Who's Who in Nigeria. BLERF. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- Olayinka, Collins (13 December 2018). "ITUC elects Wabba president, Burrow returns as scribe". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 December 2020.
- "NLC cautions government against signing Africa continental free trade agreement". The Guardian Nigeria News - Nigeria and World News. 2018-03-13. Retrieved 2022-05-02.
- "El-rufai declares Ayuba Wabba, other NLC members wanted in Kaduna over alleged economic sabotage". Vanguard News. 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-06-05.
- "I'm waiting to be arrested, NLC president replies El-Rufai". 2021-05-18. Retrieved 2021-06-05.