Athena is a clipper-bowed three masted gaff rigged schooner built by Royal Huisman in 2004 for Internet entrepreneur James H. Clark. Clark purchased a 47.4 meter sloop, Hyperion, from Royal Huisman in 1998. As Hyperion was nearing completion, Clark began to consider the possibilities of a larger yacht, which could include a theater, library, more guest space and a more capable galley, taking inspiration from the 1920s Krupp built motor yacht "Talitha".
|Owner:||James H. Clark|
|Class and type:||Gaff rigged schooner|
|Length:||295.28 ft (90.00 m) LOA|
|Beam:||40.03 ft (12.20 m)|
|Draft:||18.93 ft (5.77 m)|
Athena is the winner of the Show Boats International Award for Best Sailing Yacht over 40 Meters for 2004.
A 204-page coffee table book (41 cm x 34 cm / 16” x 13”) “Athena – A Classic Schooner For Modern Times” (photography by Louie Psihoyos, writer Jack Somer) describes the history, the construction and the life of this vessel.
In July 2012 the Athena was listed for sale with an asking price of US$95 million, and reduced to $75 million in June 2014. In summer 2014 Athena was listed as available for charter in the South Pacific, priced at approximately €260,000 per week. As of May 2019 the asking price was listed as $45 million (USD).
Athena is a 3-mast schooner with 2500 square meters of sail area.
- Length overall - 90 m / 295.3 ft
- Length of deck - 77.04 m /252.76 ft
- Length waterline - 60.52 m / 198.56 ft
- Beam - 12.2 m / 40.03 ft
- Gross tonnage - 1103 t
- Displacement - 1126 t
- Sail area - 2623 meters squared
- Somer, Jack A. (2005). Athena - A Classic Schooner For Modern Times. Louie Psihoyos (Photographer). Stichting Foundation. ISBN 978-9090195179.
- "Athena Yacht for Sale Royal Huisman Sail." superyachts.com. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- Posted Jun 17th, 2014 at 9:14am (2014-06-17). "Royal Huisman sailing yacht Athena is for sale". Yachting Magazine. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "Athena Charter - Royal Huisman Sail Yacht." superyachts.com. Retrieved 2017-04-30.
- "For Sale Athena Luxury Sail Yacht". SUPERYACHTS.COM. 2019-05-26. Retrieved 2019-05-26.
- "$10.9M price drop on sailing superyacht Athena". www.boatinternational.com. Boat International Media Ltd. 2 February 2017. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
- "ATHENA Royal Huisman". www.charterworld.com. CharterWorld LLP. Retrieved 11 October 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Athena (ship, 2004).|