Aspremont Town Hall
|Intercommunality||Métropole Nice Côte d'Azur|
|• Mayor (2020–2026)||Pascal Bonsignore|
|9.44 km2 (3.64 sq mi)|
|• Density||240/km2 (610/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|Elevation||100–855 m (328–2,805 ft) |
(avg. 530 m or 1,740 ft)
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km2 (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
The inhabitants of the commune are known as Aspremontois or Aspremontoises.
Aspremont is located some 10 km north of Nice and 5 km east of Carros. Access to the commune is by road M414 (Route de Nice) from Nice in the south, by the M14 road from Saint-Blaise in the north, and by the M719 from Tourrette-Levens in the east. Apart from the village there are the towns of Les Salettes, La Plaine, La Valliere, and La Prairie near the village and Les Templiers, Bassac, Cabanes Bletonnieres, and Gibeste in the south. The commune is rugged and heavily forested in the west and east.
Aspremont is one of sixteen villages grouped together by the Métropole Nice Côte d'Azur tourist department as the Route des Villages Perchés (Route of Perched Villages). The others are: Carros, Castagniers, Coaraze, Colomars, Duranus, Èze, Falicon, La Gaude, Lantosque, Levens, La Roquette-sur-Var, Saint-Blaise, Saint-Jeannet, Tourrette-Levens and Utelle.
Neighbouring communes and villagesEdit
After the abandonment of the Aspremont-le-Vieux site in 1426, a fortified village was built in concentric circles at the foot of Mont-Chauve on a hill overlooking a path between the Var and the Paillon de Tourrette Valley. Soil and sunshine favoured the cultivation of vines, olives, and fruit trees, particularly fig trees. There was production of wine and olive oil in the county until the end of the 19th century.
Argent, an eagle of Gules preying on a mount of 3 hillocks of Sable issuant in base, surmounted by a mullet of Azure.
List of Successive Mayors
Sites and monumentsEdit
- Fort of Mont Chauve of Aspremont (19th century) 
- Ruins of the medieval village on Mont Cima
- The house where François-Xavier Maistre was born
- Church of Saint-Jacques le Mejeur
- Chapel of Saint-Claude
- Chapel of Notre-Dame des Salettes
- Montechiaro d'Acqui, Italy (2003)
- "Répertoire national des élus: les maires". data.gouv.fr, Plateforme ouverte des données publiques françaises (in French). 2 December 2020.
- "Populations légales 2018". INSEE. 28 December 2020.
- Inhabitants of Alpes-Maritimes (in French)
- Google Maps
- "The route of perched villages" (PDF). Métropole Nice Côte d'Azur. 2013.
- List of Mayors of France (in French)
- Ministry of Culture, Mérimée IA06000009 Fort of Mont Chauve (in French)
- Blog of Philippe Dupuy (in French)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Aspremont, Alpes-Maritimes.|