Ashley Graham (model)
Ashley Graham (born October 30, 1987) is an American model. She has appeared on the cover of fashion magazines such as Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, Glamour, and Elle. In addition, she appeared in several Levi's campaigns. Graham has appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, Entertainment Tonight, and CBS News and was interviewed by NPR about plus-size modeling.
Ashley Graham at Sports Illustrated Swim City fan festival in 2016
October 30, 1987
Lincoln, Nebraska, U.S.
|Spouse(s)||Justin Ervin (m. 2010)|
|Height||5 ft 9 1⁄2 in (177 cm)|
Ashley Graham was born and raised in Lincoln, Nebraska. Growing up, Graham was diagnosed with ADD and dyslexia. She has two younger sisters. She attended Scott Middle School from 1999 to 2002 and attended Lincoln Southwest High School from 2002 to 2005. She was identified in 2000 by the I & I agency while shopping at Oak View Mall in Omaha, Nebraska.
In 2001, Graham signed a deal with Wilhelmina Models, after attending a model convention. In 2003, she signed a deal with Ford Models. During her early career, Graham appeared in YM magazine. In April 2007, she was profiled by Sally Singer of Vogue magazine and then appeared on the October 2009 issue of Glamour editorial 'These Bodies are Beautiful at Every Size,' along with plus-size models; including Kate Dillon Levin, Amy Lemons, Lizzie Miller, Crystal Renn, Jennie Runk and Anansa Sims. In 2010, Graham appeared in a controversial Lane Bryant TV commercial. The commercial received over 800,000 views on YouTube and was covered by news outlets such as The Huffington Post and the New York Post. On May 31, 2010, she appeared on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, to address the controversy.
In December 2010, Graham also appeared in an editorial for Bust magazine. Graham appeared in several Levi's campaigns, notably Curve ID SS 2011 with Sabina Karlsson, Ana Lisboa, Marquita Pring and McKenzie Raley, and Boyfriend Collection F/W 10 with Rachel Clark, Ana Lisboa, Anais Mali, Marquita Pring and Ashley Smith. Graham has appeared in several Marina Rinaldi campaigns: Spring/Summer 2012, Fall/Winter 2012 denim, and Fall/Winter 2012 sport. The other clients includes Addition Elle, Bloomingdale's, Elomi lingerie, Evans, Hanes, Liz Claiborne Macy's, Nordstrom, Simply Be and Target. In December 2012, Graham was featured two of the Billboards at New York for Lane Bryant. At the end of that year, Graham was named the Full Figured Fashion Week's Model of the Year.
In 2013, Graham designed a lingerie line for Addition Elle, a Canadian plus-size clothing retailer. Graham also appeared on MTV's Made, as a coach for an aspiring plus-size model. Graham appeared on the May 2014 issue for international's Harper's Bazaar pre-fall collection and beauty editorial. Graham was the cover model on the June 2014 issue of Elle Quebec. In 2015, swimsuitsforall, a plus-size retailer for women's swimsuits, featured Graham in an advertisement in Sports Illustrated's annual swimsuit issue. The ad was part of swimsuitsforall's #CurvesInBikinis campaign in which Graham was one of the first plus-size models to appear in the pages of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. In 2016, she became the first plus-size model to appear on the cover of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. She was also featured in DNCE's music video for "Toothbrush".
In 2016, Graham served as a backstage host for Miss USA 2016, Miss Universe 2016, Miss USA 2017 and Miss Universe 2017. In addition, she is official judge of reality show America's Next Top Model transmitted by VH1.
In 2017, Graham released a book, A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty, and Power Really Look Like. In this memoir, she provides insight into her experiences as a model and as an advocate for body positivity. Graham additionally shares, in her book, her prospects for the evolution of body image in years to come.
Charity and community serviceEdit
Graham has spoken at high schools about body image and body acceptance. She has participated in humanitarian missions in South Africa with the Themba Foundation. Graham is a proponent of the Health at Every Size movement. Graham gave a TED Talk advocating for self-acceptance with regards to body images. She also explains why one shouldn't refer to her (and others) as "Plus -Sized" Models, as it separates them from other models. She is an advocate for a confident self-image, more information about this body-positive attitude can be found at Clio Visualizing History's Click! The Ongoing Feminist Revolution.
Graham met her husband, Justin Ervin, a videographer, in a Christian church in 2009. The couple was married in 2010.
- "Success Stories". I & I Agency. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Ervin, Justin. "Contact Element Films". Element Films. Ervin, Justin. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- Pham, Thailan. "Lane Bryant Model Ashley Graham Is Engaged!". people.com. Time, Inc. Retrieved October 2, 2013.
- "Ford Models". Retrieved February 16, 2016.
- Mertes, Micah (May 3, 2010). "Lincoln model from Lane Bryant ad amazed at media frenzy". Lincoln Journal Star. Nebraska. Archived from the original on July 9, 2010. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
The 22-year-old plus-size model....
- Sauers, Jenna. "Five Plus-Size Models To Watch". jezebel.com. Gawker Media. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Levi's Boyfriend Collection F/W 10". models.com. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- "Curve ID S/S 11 (with Ashley Graham, Ana Lisboa and Sabina Karlsson)". models.com. Retrieved June 20, 2012.
- Graham, Ashley. "About". Ashley Graham official website. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Brody, Liz (July 31, 2010). "Model Ashley Graham on how to Rock a Size 16: "Did someone say cellulite?". shine.yahoo.com. Yahoo!. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- Singer, Sally (April 2007). "Body of Work". Vogue (April 2007): 188–190.
- Field, Genevieve. "These Bodies are Beautiful at Every Size". glamour.com. Conde Nast Publications. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Supermodels Who Aren't Superthin: Meet the Women Who Proudly Bared it All". glamour.com. Conde Nast Publications. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Banned-ad model: ABC is big bust". New York Post. April 23, 2010
- The Tonight Show with Jay Leno Episode Guide Archived June 5, 2011, at the Wayback Machine.
- Ashley Graham Model Plus Size On Jay Leno Show Spreadit.org, May 2, 2010 Archived May 5, 2010, at the Wayback Machine.
- "Ashley Graham In Bust Magazine". madisonplus.com. November 13, 2010. Archived from the original on April 7, 2014. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Marina Rinaldi Campaign, Spring/Summer 2012". TruthandFashion.com. Archived from the original on January 20, 2013. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Marina Rinaldi Denim, Fall/Winter 2012". truthandfashion.com. Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Models Ashley Graham & Geo Burke for Marina Rinaldi Sport". TruthandFashion.com. Archived from the original on December 4, 2012. Retrieved November 5, 2012.
- "Full Figure Fashion Week 2012 Awards". fffweek.com. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Friede, Eva (November 15, 2013). "Ashley Graham's star power plus". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved November 16, 2013.
- "Carine Roitfeld's new BAZAAR shoot: Beauty & The Best of Pre-Fall". harpersbazaar.com.au. April 2, 2014. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- Cruz, Marcy. "Plus Model Ashley Graham Graces Cover of ELLE Magazine Quebec". Plus Model Magazine. Archived from the original on May 8, 2014. Retrieved May 7, 2014.
- Durando, Jessica. "Plus-sized model Ashley Graham lands 'Sports Illustrated' swimsuit ad". USA Today. Retrieved February 8, 2015.
- Mazziotta, Julie (February 14, 2016). "5 Things to Know About Ashley Graham, Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue's First Size-16 Cover Girl". People. Retrieved February 14, 2016.
- Regensdorf, Laura. “How Curvy Model Ashley Graham Helped Redefine Beauty Norms for a Body-Positive Generation.” Vogue, Vogue, 25 May 2017.
- "Plus-size model Ashley Graham on high-fashion and health". Metro. January 21, 2015. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I promote health at every size.
- Graham, Ashley (January 2015). "Beauty Beyond Size". The Edit. Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I think that you can be healthy at any size and my goal is to help and educate women on that.
- Thomason, Kristine (February 19, 2016). "Ashley Graham Opens Up About Being Healthy at Any Size". Retrieved February 22, 2016.
I believe you can be healthy at any size as long as you’re getting off the couch and moving your body
- Alter, Charlotte. “Ashley Graham: Watch Her Inspiring TED Talk About Body Image.” Time, Time, 30 May 2015.
- “Women's Bodies: A Short Introduction.” Click! The Ongoing Feminist Revolution, Clio Visualizing History