Arthur Balfour, 1st Baron Riverdale
Balfour was the son of Herbert Balfour. He was Chairman of Arthur Balfour & Co Ltd and of C Meadows & Co Ltd, both of Sheffield, Yorkshire, and also served as President of the Association of British Chambers of Commerce from 1923 to 1924 and of the British Council from 1947 to 1950 and as Chairman of the Advisory Council for Scientific and Industrial Research from 1937 to 1957. He chaired the Committee on Industry and Trade from 1924 to 1928.
In 1935 he was appointed as the chairman of the Departmental Committee on Fire Brigade Services, which became known as the Riverdale Committee. The committee's report resulted in the Fire Brigades Act 1938.
Balfour married Frances Josephine Bingham, daughter of Charles Henry Bingham, in 1899. He died in July 1957, aged 84, and was succeeded in his titles by his eldest son Robert. Lady Riverdale died in 1960.
Honours and stylesEdit
He was appointed a Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire in 1923, created a Baronet of Sheffield in the County of York in 1929, and raised to the peerage as Baron Riverdale, of Sheffield in the County of York, on 27 June 1935. On 11 June 1942 he was even further honoured when he was appointed a Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire for services to the Empire Air Training Scheme.
- Mosley, Charles, ed. (2003). Burke's Peerage, Baronetage & Knighthood (107 ed.). Burke's Peerage & Gentry. pp. 3351–3352. ISBN 0-9711966-2-1.
- Burke's genealogical and heraldic history of the peerage, baronetage, and knightage, Privy Council, and order of preference (99 ed.). London: Burke's Peerage Limited. 1949. p. 1700. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- John Ramsden (ed.), The Oxford Companion to Twentieth Century British Politics (Oxford University Press, 2005), pp. 39–40.
- Ewen, Shane (2009). Fighting Fires: Creating the British Fire Service, 1800–1978. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan. p. 125. ISBN 9780230248403. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "Catalogue record: COMMISSIONS, COMMITTEES AND CONFERENCES: Departmental Committee on Fire Brigade Services 1935 (The Riverdale Committee): signed report". National Archives. Retrieved 27 March 2020.
- "No. 33516". The London Gazette. 12 July 1929. p. 4622.
- "No. 34176". The London Gazette. 2 July 1935. p. 4241.
- "No. 35586". The London Gazette. 5 June 1942. p. 2488.
- "No. 35930". The London Gazette (Supplement). 5 March 1943. p. 1133.
- Burke's Peerage. 1959.
|Peerage of the United Kingdom|
| Baron Riverdale
Robert Arthur Balfour