Arte Público Press
Arte Público Press, in Houston, Texas, is the largest US publisher of contemporary and recovered literature by US Hispanic authors, part of the University of Houston. It publishes approximately 30 titles per year.
|Parent company||University of Houston|
|Country of origin||United States|
Arte Público was founded in 1979 by its current director, Nicolás Kanellos, Ph.D. Dr. Kanellos also founded and edited the Revista Chicana-Riqueña from 1972 to 1999. In 1980, Arte Público became a part of the University of Houston, where it is housed today. Arte Público has now published over 600 books.
In 1990, Arte Público launched the "Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage" project in order to recover, index and publish lost Latino writings dating from the American colonial period to 1960. In 1994, they created Piñata Books, their children's and young adult literature imprint.
Arte Público has published Lamberto Alvarez, Victor Villaseñor, Nicholasa Mohr, Luis Valdez, Miguel Piñero, Sandra Cisneros, Julia Alvarez, Helena Maria Viramontes, Sergio Troncoso, Miguel Algarín, Graciela Limón, Gwendolyn Zepeda, Daniel Olivas, Daniel Chacón, Pat Mora, and José Ángel Gutiérrez.
Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary HeritageEdit
In 1990 an initial meeting was held to establish Recovering the U.S. Hispanic Literary Heritage, also known as The Recovery Project. This project seeks to recover and expand access to manuscripts and printed materials created by Hispanics in the United States from colonial times to 1960. The Rockefeller Foundation funded the initial meeting and the first decade of operation, along with numerous other foundations including Andrew W. Mellon Foundation, Houston Endowment Inc., and the Ford Foundation. Over 18,000 pamphlets and books written by Hispanics have been located. 1,000 books have been digitized, and over 500,000 literary items have been digitized from 1,700 periodicals.
- The House on Mango Street by Sandra Cisneros
- Zoot Suit and Other Plays by Luis Valdez
- Rain of Gold by Victor Villaseñor
- Chants by Pat Mora
- y no se lo trago la tierra/And the Earth Did Not Devour Him by Tomás Rivera
- Rigoberto González (March 14, 2019). "National Book Critics Circle recognizes Arte Público Press as literary force". NBC News. Retrieved March 15, 2019.
- Kanellos, Nicolas (2008). The Greenwood Encyclopedia of Latino Literature. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press. p. 974. ISBN 978-0-313-33973-8.
- "Arte Público Press Turns The Page On 35 Years". ssl.uh.edu. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Official website
- Lamberto and Beto Alvarez Illustrated Book "Muffler Man"
- Roll Over, Big Toben Written by Victor M. Sandoval Cover and Design Lamberto Alvarez
|This article about a United States publishing company is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|