Arkham Horror: The Card Game
This article relies too much on references to primary sources. (January 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is produced by Fantasy Flight Games. It is a cooperative game set in the universe of Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu roleplaying game which is based on the Cthulhu Mythos of H.P. Lovecraft and other horror writers. The setting of the game is based in the titular (fictional) town of Arkham, MA. The game was originally leaked in May 2016, before being officially announced in August of that same year. It made its first limited public release at Arkham Nights 2016 to a sold out crowd.
|Other name(s)||Arkham Horror: El Juego De Cartas, Horror w Arkham: Gra Karciana, Arkham Horror: Das Kartenspiel|
|Designer(s)||Nate French & Matthew Newman|
|Publisher(s)||Fantasy Flight Games|
|Publication date||Q4 2016 |
|Years active||2016 - present|
|Genre(s)||Co-operative Living Card Game (LCG) with Deck Building|
|Language(s)||English, German, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Greek, Polish, Czech|
|Players||1 - 4 |
|Setup time||< 5 minutes
(excluding deck building)
|Playing time||60 - 120 minutes|
|Random chance||Some (card drawing, deck building, skill tests)|
|Skill(s) required||Card playing, Deck building, Logic, Strategy|
|Material(s) required||All included|
|Media type||Playing cards|
|Website||Arkham Horror: The Card Game — Fantasy Flight Games|
As a game in Fantasy Flight Games Living Card Game line, there will be a regular release of non-random expansions in the form of Deluxe expansions that start a story or campaign, followed by multiple smaller expansions (known as Mythos packs) that continue and conclude it.
This campaign play is the default mode of the game, allowing a player to start a series of scenarios, and upon completing them gaining experience points that can be used to level up cards in their deck. This also means that choices made in certain areas can affect later scenarios, allowing replayability. The players are working together against an agenda deck and encounter deck that act as a timer for how long the players have to complete their objectives and direct opposition to their actions.
When players prepare to play, they build decks using a pool of cards, and depending on the Investigator (character) their deck represents, special unique cards are automatic. Each deck also receives cards that represent weaknesses of their investigator, one specific, and one drawn at random. The players each take actions (usually three) from a list of choices, then any monsters get to act, and the players then have to face the agenda/encounter deck that represents the forces they are working against.
- Dunwich Legacy cycle
- The Dunwich Legacy (January 2017, deluxe expansion)
- The Miskatonic Museum (February 2017, mythos pack)
- The Essex County Express (March 2017, mythos pack)
- Blood on the Altar (April 2017, mythos pack)
- Undimensioned and Unseen (May 2017, mythos pack)
- Where Doom Awaits (June 2017, mythos pack)
- Lost in Time and Space (July 2017, mythos pack)
- The Path to Carcosa cycle
- The Path to Carcosa (September 2017, deluxe expansion)
- Echoes of the Past (October 2017, mythos pack)
- The Unspeakable Oath (November 2017, mythos pack)
- A Phantom of Truth (December 2017, mythos pack)
- The Pallid Mask (upcoming, mythos pack)
- Black Stars Rise (upcoming, mythos pack)
- Dim Carcosa (upcoming, mythos pack)
- Stand-alone scenarios
- Curse of the Rougarou (2016)
- Carnevale of Horrors (2016)
- The Labyrinths of Lunacy (Gencon event scenario, public release upcoming)
- Upgrade Expansions
- Return to the Night of the Zealot (upcoming, 2018)
- "Enter the Mythos". Fantasy Flight Games. 2 August 2016. Retrieved 27 September 2016.
- "Leaked Image of Arkham Horror Card Game". www.polyhedroncollider.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Enter the Mythos". www.fantasyflightgames.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.
- "Uncovering the Truth". www.fantasyflightgames.com. Retrieved 2016-09-27.