Area code 440
Area code 440 is a North American telephone area code for the state of Ohio, serving parts of the Greater Cleveland area, but not the city of Cleveland or most of its inner suburbs. This area code was established August 16, 1997. Area code 440 was formed by a three-way split of Area code 216, one of the original North American Numbering Plan codes. Area code 330 was created in 1996 from the southern part of 216 and 440 was added the following year to keep up with the increasing number of cellular phones, as well as population factors.
Area code 440 serves most of the southern, western, and eastern suburbs of Cleveland, including the larger cities and communities of Ashtabula, Eastlake, Elyria, Lorain, Mentor, North Olmsted, North Ridgeville, North Royalton, Parma, Solon, Strongsville, Westlake and Willoughby. 440 covers all of Lake and Geauga counties. It serves almost all of Ashtabula and Lorain counties, part of Erie County, the northeast corner of Huron County, and the northwest part of Trumbull County. The largest city it serves is Parma, Ohio. It also covers far eastern Cuyahoga County, the rest of which stayed in 216.
The 440 area is just barely contiguous, joined by a small section in the south.
Area code 440 has telephone numbers assigned for the central office code 988. 988 has been designated nationwide as a dialing code for the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, which creates a conflict for exchanges that permit seven-digit dialing. This area code is therefore scheduled to transition to ten-digit dialing, mandatory after October 24, 2021. Callers who continue to dial the traditional way after the permissive period ends will hear recorded messages of the new procedure, upon dialling incorrectly.
- "Area Code 440 Atlas". worldatlas.com. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Area Code 440 History". areacodehelp.com. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Area Code 440 Coverage". areacodehelp.com. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Area Code 440 Counties". areacodehelp.com. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "440 Area Code Location". allareacodes.com. Retrieved August 27, 2017.
- "Transition to 10-digit dialing (for 988 as 3-digit access to National Suicide Prevention Hotline)" (PDF). NANPA. January 8, 2021. Retrieved March 9, 2021.
|North: 519/226/548, Lake Erie|
|West: 419/567||area code 440||East: 216, 440, 724, 814|
|South: 234/330, 419/567|
|Ontario area codes: 226/519/548, 249/705, 289/365/905, 343/613, 416/437/647, 807|
|Pennsylvania area codes: 215/267/445, 223/717, 272/570, 412, 484/610, 724, 814, 878|