|Headquarters||Mount Pleasant, South Carolina|
Number of employees
Its formula for regional publishing is to use local writers or historians to write about their community using 180 to 240 black-and-white photographs with captions and introductory paragraphs in a 128 page book. The Images of America series is the company's largest product line.
Other series include Images of Rail, Images of Sports, Images of Baseball, Black America, Postcard History, Campus History, Corporate History, Legendary Locals, Images of Modern America, and Then & Now.
It has a catalog of more than 8,500 titles in print and hundreds of new titles released every year.
The History PressEdit
The History Press is a subsidiary publishing house, owned by Arcadia. Its books mainly deal with "narratives of local heroes, tragic losses, collections of homegrown recipes, historic mysteries, and everything in between" One of their popular series is the Haunted America line of books, which are written by local authors about ghost stories specific to cities across the US.
The books are printed in the United States. It handles its own sales and distribution with the following each accounting for one-third of the company's sales:
- "Histories in the Making". The Philadelphia Inquirer. April 11, 2002 – via Newsbank.
- Nolte, Carl (October 27, 2005). "Mini-Americana Publisher Finds Small to Be Bountiful". San Francisco Chronicle.
- Rice, Mark (Fall 2009). "Arcadian Visions of the Past" (PDF). Columbia Journal of American Studies. Vol. 9. pp. 7–26. Retrieved September 19, 2017.(analysis of the successful Images of America series).
- Hall, Alan (March 20, 2005). "The Book Is at the Printer!". Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio. Archived from the original on October 2, 2006. Retrieved August 24, 2007.
Hall, Alan (July 3, 2005). "Steubenville A Book Written by Librarians". Public Library of Steubenville and Jefferson County, Ohio. Archived from the original on October 2, 2006. Retrieved August 24, 2007.
Hall is a co-author and describes the process of writing and editing an Acadia book Steubenville ISBN 978-0-7385-3399-5.
- "Our Story". Arcadia Publishing. Retrieved June 11, 2009.
- "The History Press". Arcadia Publishing. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- "Haunted America". Arcadia Publishing. Retrieved November 15, 2016.
- Milliot, Jim (August 9, 2004). "Arcadia Publishing Adopts National View". Publishers Weekly'. Retrieved August 24, 2007.