This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Apple SIM is a proprietary subscriber identity module (SIM) produced by Apple Inc. It is included in cellular-enabled versions of its iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3, iPad Mini 4, iPad Mini 5, and iPad Pro tablets and Apple Watch Series 3 and 4 in Apple Retail Stores in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, India, Italy, Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
|Type||Subscriber identity module|
The Apple SIM supports wireless services across multiple supported carriers, which can be selected from a user interface within iOS and watchOS, removing the need to install a SIM provided by the carrier itself. While Apple did not acknowledge the feature whilst presenting the iPad models that ship with Apple SIM, promotional materials on its website discuss the feature as being geared toward users of short-term mobile internet contracts across multiple carriers.
Carriers supported by Apple SIM include AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile US, EE, au, GigSky, Truphone, Three, and AlwaysOnline Wireless. Altogether these carriers provide coverage in 100+ countries.[according to whom?] However, activating mobile services on AT&T will permanently lock the Apple SIM to AT&T, requiring the purchase of a new Apple SIM in order to use a different carrier.
The Apple SIM is known as a Removable SIM with Remote Provisioning – it is a special SIM card that may be configured with different operator profiles. This is in contrast to an embedded SIM, which is not removable and may also be remotely provisioned. It appears that Apple has begun to include both types of SIM in their newer devices.
The following devices support Apple SIM cards.
Embedded Apple SIMEdit
- Apple Watch Series 3
- Apple Watch Series 4
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (2nd generation)
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation)
- iPad Pro (11-inch)
- iPad Pro (10.5-inch)
- iPad Pro (9.7-inch)
- iPad mini (5th generation)
Physical Apple SIMEdit
- iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (1st generation)
- iPad (5th generation)
- iPad (6th generation)
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Mini 3
- iPad Mini 4
- "Apple's new iPads let you switch wireless carriers without changing SIM cards". The Verge. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "More proof AT&T is clueless/evil: Carrier busts 'Apple SIM' feature". VentureBeat. Retrieved 26 October 2014.
- "GSMA: Understanding SIM evolution". Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "9.7-inch LTE iPad Pros include an embedded Apple SIM, but you can still swap out carrier SIM cards". 9to5Mac. Retrieved 30 March 2016.
- "Apple SIM". Apple Inc. Retrieved 2 July 2018.
- Apple SIM (Official website)