12.9" iPad Pro in Gold
|Manufacturer||Foxconn (under contract)|
|Release date||November 11, 2015 (12.9 inch model)
March 31, 2016 (9.7 inch model)
$599 USD (32 GB WiFi only)
$749 USD (128 GB WiFi only)
$899 USD (256 GB WiFi only)
$729 USD (32 GB WiFi + Cellular)
$879 USD (128 GB WiFi + Cellular)
$1,029 USD (256 GB WiFi + Cellular)
|Operating system||Original: iOS 9.1 (12.9 inch model)
iOS 9.3 (9.7 inch model)
Current: iOS 10.3.1, released April 3, 2017
|System-on-chip used||Apple A9X with 64-bit architecture and Apple M9 motion co-processor (integrated and always on)|
|CPU||12.9-inch model: 2.26 GHz dual-core 64-bit ARMv8-A
9.7-inch model: 2.16GHz dual-core 64-bit
32, 128 or 256 GB flash memory
2048x1536 px (264 PPI) (IPS panel) (3.1 megapixels), 9.7 in (250 mm) diagonal, 4:3
|Graphics||12-core PowerVR Series 7XT|
|Sound||Four loudspeakers, adjusting sound to device orientation|
|Input||Multi-touch screen, headset controls and ambient light sensors, 3-axis accelerometer, 3-axis gyroscope, digital compass, dual microphone, Bosch Sensortec BMP280 barometer|
Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular:
Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac; dual channel (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz); HT80 with MIMO
Wi-Fi + Cellular:
GPS & GLONASS
12.9-inch Wi-Fi + Cellular:
9.7-inch Wi-Fi + Cellular:
|Online services||App Store, Apple Music, iTunes Store, iBookstore, iCloud, Game Center|
240 mm (9.4 in) (h)
169.5 mm (6.67 in) (w)
6.1 mm (0.24 in) (d)
12.9-inch Wi-Fi: 713 g (1.572 lb)
|Related articles||iPad, Apple Inc, iOS, Apple A9X, Apple Pencil|
iPad Pro is a line of tablet computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc., that runs the iOS mobile operating system. It is available in two screen sizes, 9.7-inch and 12.9-inch, each with three options for internal storage capacities: 32, 128 or 256 GB; the 256 GB configuration making the iPad Pro the first iOS device to offer that storage size.
The first iPad Pro, the 12.9-inch version, was announced on September 9, 2015, and released on November 11, 2015. It is larger than all previous iPad models and the first iPad tablet to feature LPDDR4 RAM. The 12.9-inch tablet was later followed by the smaller 9.7-inch version, which was announced on March 21, 2016, and released on March 31, 2016. Compared to the iPad Air 2, the 9.7-inch iPad Pro features a faster CPU, a better camera, and is the first iPad to feature True Tone Flash and Retina Flash. It also had the highest storage for an iPad with a 256 GB storage option and included True Tone display, which allows the LCD to adapt to ambient lighting to change its color and intensity in different environments.
The 12.9 inch version of the iPad Pro was announced during an Apple Special Event on September 9, 2015. It was released on November 11, 2015 with gold, silver, and space gray color options. Prices ranging from US $799.99 to $1,229.99 based on storage size and cellular capacity. On March 21, 2016, the 9.7 inch version of the iPad Pro was announced at an Apple keynote with an additional rose gold color option. The 9.7 inch version also introduced the ability to choose base 32GB Model with Cellular + WiFi option. (Previously, Cellular + WiFi option was only available on 128GB iPad Pro model.) The 9.7 inch model is priced from $599 to $1,129 depending on the configuration. It was released on March 31, 2016.
Both iPad Pro models include the A9X chip and the Apple M9 motion co-processor. The 9.7 inch model, however, has a slightly underclocked CPU (2.16 GHz compared to 2.26 GHz on the 12.9 inch model). A number of features are carried over from the standard iPad, such as Touch ID and the Retina Display. New features include a smart connector for a keyboard and four stereo speakers located in pairs on top and bottom of the device. The 12.9 inch model has 2732-by-2048 Retina Display at 264 pixels per inch, and the 9.7 inch model has a 2048-by-1536 Retina Display at 264 pixels per inch and features a variable refresh rate, a first for Apple. The 12.9 inch version of the iPad Pro is the first iPad to include 4 GB of RAM.
There are four accessories made specifically for iPad Pro – a "smart" screen cover, an attachable keyboard; an active bluetooth tracking stylus, Apple Pencil; and a Form-Fitted Silicone case that is compatible with the Smart Keyboard, all of which are sold separately.
Smart Keyboard docks with iPad Pro using the Smart Connector, a magnetic connection that provides data transfer and power. Smart Keyboard, which doubles as a kickstand, is comparable to that of the competing Microsoft Surface Pro.
Apple Pencil is a precision stylus exclusive to the iPad Pro. The accessory is rechargeable via the lightning port on the tablet itself. iPad Pro introduces a new display with increased responsiveness and precision over previous iPad displays with Apple Pencil support added. During the keynote, Apple demonstrated drawing, managing publication layout, and document annotation.
The iPad Pro's 9.7-inch version set a record among all currently released tablets tested in color accuracy, screen reflectance, peak brightness, contrast rating in high ambient light, and smallest color variation. However, the iPad Pro 12.9-inch version tested to having better contrast ratio in the dark. Despite Apple advertising the tablets as PC replacements, most reviewers noted that it still cannot replace a laptop running the Microsoft Windows operating system.
- "The A9X SoC & More To Come - The iPad Pro Preview: Taking Notes With iPad Pro". AnandTech. November 11, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "iPad Pro - Technical Specifications - Apple". Apple Inc.
- Smith, Ryan (November 30, 2015). "More on Apple's A9X SoC". AnandTech. Retrieved November 30, 2015.
- "iPad Pro Teardown". iFixit. November 11, 2015. Retrieved November 11, 2015.
- "iPad Pro 9.7" Teardown". iFixit. April 4, 2016. Retrieved April 4, 2016.
- Love, Julia (September 9, 2015). "Bigger iPad announced at Apple 'monster' event". Reuters. San Francisco. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- Dillet, Roman (September 9, 2015). "Apple Unveils The iPad Pro". TechCrunch. Retrieved September 9, 2015.
- "Apple - Press Info - Epic 12.9-inch iPad Pro Available to Order Online Wednesday & Arrives in Stores Later This Week". Apple Inc.
- Seifert, Dan (March 21, 2016). "New iPad Pro announced: $599, 9.7-inch display, weighs less than one pound". The Verge. Retrieved August 14, 2016.
- "iPad Accessories". Apple. September 15, 2015. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- Ziegler, Chris (September 9, 2015). "The iPad Pro has an optional Smart Keyboard cover for $169". The Verge. Retrieved September 28, 2015.
- "Apple Introduces iPad Pro Featuring Epic 12.9-inch Retina Display". Apple.com. Apple Press Info. Archived from the original on September 11, 2015. Retrieved September 11, 2015.
- Ulanoff, Lance (September 12, 2015). "Apple is not following Jobs' script and that's OK". Mashable. Archived from the original on September 15, 2015. Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- Statt, Nick (September 9, 2015). "Here's why Apple made the stylus that Steve Jobs hated: Styluses and screens have come a long way". The Verge. The Verge. Archived from the original on September 10, 2015. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Harley; et al. "United States Patent: 8638320". Patent Full Text. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- King, Hope. "Apple criticized for Photoshopping smile on woman's face". CNN.com. CNN Money. Archived from the original on September 10, 2015. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Price, Rob (September 9, 2015). "Apple just announced a product that Steve Jobs famously hated". Business Insider. Archived from the original on September 15, 2015. Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- Davies, Chris (September 9, 2015). "Apple Pencil for iPad Pro revealed: The stylus' time has come". Slashgear. Archived from the original on September 10, 2015. Retrieved September 15, 2015.
- iPad Pro 9.7 analysis shows record display performance, iPhone 7 screen upgrade possibilities 9to5 Mac
- "iPad Pro - What's a Computer?". Apple Inc. on YouTube. August 1, 2016. Retrieved August 13, 2016.
- iPad Pro 9.7 review: Apple's best tablet, but it won't replace a laptop
- No, The 9.7 iPad Pro Won't Replace A Windows Laptop - Forbes
- iPad Pro problems: Apple acknowledges mysterious shutdowns, but no fix yet | Macworld
- Apple Says iOS 9.2 Fixes Unresponsive iPad Pro Issues | Macrumors
- Apple Inc. (2010–2011). Release Library. Retrieved April 3, 2011.
- iPad Pro – official site
|12.9 inch iPad Pro
|9.7 inch iPad Pro