Apostolic Vicariate of Iles Saint Pierre and Miquelon
The Roman Catholic Vicariate Apostolic of Iles Saint Pierre et Miquelon (Latin: Vicariatus Apostolicus Insularum Sancti Petri et Miquelonensis; French: Vicariat Apostolique des Îles Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon) was an apostolic vicariate of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in North America. The Vicariate comprised the entirety of the French dependency of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon off the south coast of Newfoundland. As an Apostolic Vicariate, it did not have a formal metropolitan. The church was headed by vicar apostolic.
Vicarate Apostolic of Iles Saint Pierre et Miquelon
Vicariatus Apostolicus Insularum Sancti Petri et Miquelonensis
Vicariat Apostolique des Îles Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon
|Country||Saint Pierre and Miquelon, France|
|Area||242 km2 (93 sq mi)|
- Catholics (including non-members)
|(as of 2016)|
|Dissolved||March 1, 2018|
|Cathedral||St. Pierre Cathedral, Saint-Pierre|
First erected as an apostolic prefecture, in 1763, after the Fall of New France, it was established as an apostolic vicariate on November 16, 1970. At the moment of its merging with the Roman Catholic Diocese of La Rochelle and Saintes, the Vicariate had 2 parishes with a combined community of 6,300 Catholics, served by 2 religious priests, 6 female religious, and 2 male religious.
- 1763: Established as the Apostolic Prefecture of Iles Saint Pierre and Miquelon on territory of the Saint-Pierre and Miquelon from the Roman Catholic Diocese of Quebec.
- November 16, 1970: Promoted as the Apostolic Vicariate of Iles Saint Pierre and Miquelon.
- March 1, 2018: Officially suppressed and its territory merged into the Roman Catholic Diocese of La Rochelle and Saintes.
- Girard, C.S.Sp. † (22 Jan 1766 Appointed - 1767)
- Julien-François Becquet, C.S.Sp. † (28 Apr 1767 Appointed - 1775 Resigned)
- de Longueville † ( 1788 Appointed - 1793 Resigned)
- Ollivier † ( 1816 Appointed - 7 Sep 1842 Resigned)
- M. Le Helloco † (22 Jun 1853 Appointed - 1866 Resigned)
- M. Letournoux † (13 Dec 1866 Appointed - 1892 Resigned)
- Christophe-Louis Légasse † ( 1899 Appointed - 6 Dec 1915 Appointed, Bishop of Oran)
- Giuseppe Oster, C.S.Sp. † ( 1916 Appointed - 1922 Died)
- Charles Joseph Heitz † (9 Nov 1922 Appointed - 1933 Resigned)
- Raymond Henri Martin, C.S.Sp. † (23 Nov 1945 Appointed - 1966 )
- François Joseph Maurer, C.S.Sp. † (17 May 1966 Appointed - 17 Feb 2000 Retired)
- Lucien Prosper Ernest Fischer, C.S.Sp. (17 Feb 2000 Appointed - 19 Jun 2009 Retired)
- Marie Pierre François Auguste Gaschy, C.S.Sp. (19 Jun 2009 Appointed - 1 Mar 2018 Retired)
- "Rinuncia del Vicario Apostolico di Iles Saint-Pierre et Miquelon e accorpamento del Vicariato nella Diocesi di La Rochelle (Francia)". Official Website of the Holy See (in Italian). Retrieved 1 March 2018.
- Vicariate Apostolic of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon. Catholic-Hierarchy.org. Retrieved 2006-07-18. [self-published]