Apgujeong-dong (Korean pronunciation: [apk͈udʑʌŋdoŋ]; Korean: 압구정동; Hanja: 狎鷗亭洞) is a ward of Gangnam-gu in Seoul, South Korea. It is considered as one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in South Korea. It was reported that housing price of Apgujeong-dong is approximately US$28,300 per one square meter by Korea Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport in 2019. The dong originates from a pavilion with the same name founded by Han Myung-hoi, a high-ranking government official during the Joseon dynasty. It is an upmarket residential, fashion, shopping, and educational area. The Hanja name translates into "Seagull Pavilion," a reference to his nickname, which itself was a reference and a mark of peace when viewing a group of seagulls flying.
|• Revised Romanization||Apgujeong-dong|
|• Total||2.53 km2 (0.98 sq mi)|
|• Density||13,058/km2 (33,820/sq mi)|
One of the main shopping area is Apgujeong Rodeo Street, along with Cheongdam-dong Fashion Street in Cheongdam-dong and Garosu-gil in Sinsa-dong, which are connected by the main avenue Apgujeong-ro. It is seen as a fashionable and trendsetting destination.
The area is filled with upscale department stores, shops, boutiques, hagwons, cafes and restaurants. Two main department stores, Hyundai Department Store and Galleria Department Store, are located in this area with both being Flagship Stores.
Apgujeong Rodeo Street is located opposite the Galleria Department Store, with shops of local and international designers as well as Nori Market, The Vanessa Bruno outlet, Mui Mui Cafe, and On Friday Restaurant.
The registered official headquarters of K-pop entertainment agency S.M. Entertainment is located in the eastern side, although company moved their offices to Cheongdam-dong in 2012. The building was renovated and became Global Artist Training Center for SM Entertainment trainees in 2013, until it was renamed as SM Entertainment Celebrity Center in 2017. The Caffè Pascucci coffee chain in Apgujeong was used as one of the main filming locations for Seoul Broadcasting System's 2001 drama Beautiful Days, starring Lee Byung-hun, Choi Ji-woo, Ryu Si-won, Shin Min-a, Lee Jung-hyun and Lee Yoo-jin.
This area is also known for its many plastic surgery clinics.
Schools located in Apgujeong-dong:
It is served by Apgujeong station and Sinsa station on the Seoul Subway Line 3. There is Bundang Line Apgujeongrodeo station at east, boundary of Cheongdam-dong. 5 Bus lines pass Apgujeong-dong, 143, 145, 147, 148 and 240 and single pass can be used to transfer between bus and subway.
- "압구정동 (Apgujeong-dong 狎鷗亭洞)". Doosan Encyclopedia (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2009-07-10. Retrieved 2008-04-16.
- "압구 (狎鷗)". Naver (in Korean). Retrieved 2017-06-04.
- Rahn, Kim (28 July 2011). "Three Gangnam districts show latest fads". Korea Times. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Apgujeong & Cheongdam". Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "Apgujeong Rodeo Street, Gangnam". Visit Seoul. Seoul City Tourism. Archived from the original on 12 April 2013. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Lee, P. (Dec 17, 2019). "SM Entertainment's Headquarters Reportedly Violates Building Act". Soompi. Retrieved Apr 12, 2020.
- "Beautiful Days". Korean TV Drama. Korea Tourism Organization. Retrieved 1 June 2012.