Anthony Hernandez (born October 18, 1993) is an American mixed martial artist currently competing as a Middleweight with the Ultimate Fighting Championship. A professional since 2014, he has also competed with Global Knockout and Legacy Fighting Alliance. As of September 19, 2023, he is #15 in the UFC middleweight rankings.
|Born||October 18, 1993|
Dunnigan, California, United States
|Height||6 ft 0 in (1.83 m)|
|Weight||185 lb (84 kg; 13 st 3 lb)|
|Reach||75 in (191 cm)|
|Fighting out of||El Dorado Hills, California, United States|
|Team||MMA Gold |
Marinoble's Martial Arts
|Rank||Brown belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu |
Black belt in Marinoble's MMA System
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Hernandez grew up in Dunnigan, California and graduated from Woodland High School in 2011. He wrestled in high school but got kicked out of the team because of grades. He attended college for a spell but dropped out to pursue a career in mixed martial arts.
Martial arts career Edit
Amateur career Edit
Hernandez made his amateur debut in 2010 during Ring of Fire 1, when he faced Michael Green Jr. He won the fight via unanimous decision. This would be the first win of an eight fight winning streak, which ended in a chance to fight for the King of the Cage Amateur Middleweight title, against Justin Jones. Hernandez lost the fight by submission in the first round.
Early career Edit
Fighting under the banner of Dana White's Contender Series 10, Hernandez faced Jordan Wright. Despite winning the fight in 40 seconds via knockout, the fight would be declared a no contest, as Hernandez tested positive for marijuana. He was penalized 15% of his purse and suspended for 6 months.
Ultimate Fighting Championship Edit
Hernandez was scheduled to face five-time Jiu-Jitsu World Champion Rodolfo Vieira on January 16, 2021, at UFC on ABC 1. However, Hernandez pulled out due to a positive COVID-19 test and they were rescheduled for UFC 258 on February 13, 2021. Hernandez won the fight via a guillotine choke in round two in a huge upset. This win earned him the Performance of the Night award.
Hernandez was scheduled to face Punahele Soriano on June 26, 2021, at UFC Fight Night 190. However, Hernandez was pulled from the event due to injury and was replaced by Brendan Allen at UFC Fight Night 192.
Hernandez was scheduled to face Dustin Stoltzfus on December 18, 2021, at UFC Fight Night 199. However, Hernandez withdrew from the event due to undisclosed reasons and was replaced by newcomer Caio Borralho.
Hernandez was scheduled to face Albert Duraev on April 9, 2022, at UFC 273. However, due to a rib injury, Duraev was pull from the event and he was replaced by Dricus du Plessis. Du Plessis was eventually moved to another matchup on the card and Hernandez was instead booked against Josh Fremd. He won the fight via unanimous decision.
Hernandez was scheduled to face Chris Curtis at UFC Fight Night 227 on September 16, 2023. However, Curtis withdrew due to a rib injury and was replaced by Roman Kopylov. In turn, Hernandez pulled out of the bout due to a torn ligament and was replaced by Josh Fremd.
Personal life Edit
Hernandez has two children.
Championships and accomplishments Edit
- Ultimate Fighting Championship
- Legacy Fighting Alliance
- Cageside Press
- Combat Press
Mixed martial arts record Edit
|14 matches||11 wins||2 losses|
|Win||11–2 (1)||Edmen Shahbazyan||TKO (elbows and punches)||UFC Fight Night: Dern vs. Hill||May 20, 2023||3||1:01||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||10–2 (1)||Marc-André Barriault||Technical submission (arm-triangle choke)||UFC Fight Night: Sandhagen vs. Song||September 17, 2022||3||1:53||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||9–2 (1)||Josh Fremd||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 273||April 9, 2022||3||5:00||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Win||8–2 (1)||Rodolfo Vieira||Submission (guillotine choke)||UFC 258||February 13, 2021||2||1:53||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Performance of the Night.|
|Loss||7–2 (1)||Kevin Holland||TKO (knees and punches)||UFC on ESPN: Overeem vs. Harris||May 16, 2020||1||0:39||Jacksonville, Florida, United States|
|Win||7–1 (1)||Park Jun-yong||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC Fight Night: Andrade vs. Zhang||August 31, 2019||2||4:39||Shenzhen, China|
|Loss||6–1 (1)||Markus Perez||Submission (anaconda choke)||UFC Fight Night: Assunção vs. Moraes 2||February 2, 2019||2||1:07||Fortaleza, Brazil|
|NC||6–0 (1)||Jordan Wright||NC (overturned)||Dana White's Contender Series 10||June 19, 2018||1||0:40||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Originally a KO (punches) win for Hernandez; overturned after he tested positive for marijuana.|
|Win||6–0||Brendan Allen||Decision (unanimous)||LFA 32||January 26, 2018||5||5:00||Lake Charles, Louisiana, United States||Won the LFA Middleweight Championship.|
|Win||5–0||Mike Persons||Submission (guillotine choke)||GKO 9||March 18, 2017||1||1:54||Jackson, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Jumoke Hunter||Submission (guillotine choke)||GKO 7||August 27, 2016||1||3:09||Jackson, California, United States|
|Win||3–0||Preston Snook||Submission (guillotine choke)||GKO 4||August 29, 2015||1||3:09||Jackson, California, United States|
|Win||2–0||Kenny Ento||Submission (guillotine choke)||GKO 3||March 21, 2015||1||3:30||Jackson, California, United States|
|Win||1–0||Trey Williams||KO (punch)||WFC 11||September 13, 2014||1||0:51||Sacramento, California, United States|
Amateur mixed martial arts record Edit
|Amateur record breakdown|
|10 matches||9 wins||1 loss|
|Win||9–1||Eric Smith||Submission (armbar)||WFC 5 - Andrews vs. Griffin||May 3, 2013||2||0:43||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Loss||8–1||Justin Jones||Submission (rear-naked choke)||KOTC - Fighting Legends||April 13, 2013||1||1:42||Sacramento, California, United States||For the KOTC Middleweight title.|
|Win||8–0||Matt Wilson||TKO (punches)||WFC 4 - Huckaba vs. Williams||January 18, 2013||1||N/A||Sacramento, California, United States|
|Win||7–0||Blake Smee||TKO (punches)||Ultimate Reno Combat 35||July 20, 2012||3||1:11||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||6-0||Randall Wallace||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Ultimate Reno Combat 33||May 18, 2012||2||1:48||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||5–0||Sean Nelson||DQ||Dawgs of War 06/22/12||June 22, 2012||1||1:00||Roseville, California, United States|
|Win||4–0||Albert Townsend||Submission (triangle choke)||Ultimate Reno Combat - Fight Factory at the Knit 1||March 23, 2012||1||1:01||Reno, Nevada, United States||Townsend missed weight (187.5 lbs).|
|Win||3–0||Jeremiah Johnson||TKO (punches)||Battle of the Titans II||February 18, 2012||1||1:23||Rancho Cordova, Nevada, United States|
|Win||2–0||Mike Ramos||KO (knee to the body)||URC 28 - Invincible||October 21, 2011||2||1:51||Reno, Nevada, United States|
|Win||1–0||Michael Green Jr.||Decision (unanimous)||Ring of Fire 1||June 25, 2010||3||2:00||Arcadia, California, United States|
See also Edit
- "Anthony Hernandez". ufcstats.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Alexandra Scaffidi (May 15, 2020). "Anthony Hernandez says pandemic benefitted his camp: 'Less injuries' training like this". bloodyelbow.com.
- Riton Optics (2021-09-29). The Riton Podcast - Episode 39: Who's Fluffy (w/ Anthony Hernandez) – via YouTube.
- "Anthony Hernandez | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved September 18, 2022.
- "UFC Rankings | UFC.com". www.ufc.com. Retrieved 2023-09-19.
- Matt Murphy (January 31, 2019). "Woodland native Hernandez set for UFC debut". Daily Democrat.
- The Quintana Show (September 24, 2021). Anthony "Fluffy" Hernandez: Learning to Fight Amongst Tumbleweeds & Dust • Politicalish Podcast – via YouTube.
- "Ring of Fire Ring of Fire 1". sherdog.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Justin Jones vs. Anthony Hernandez". tapology.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Tonight's LFA 32 headliners, Brendan Allen and Anthony Hernandez, are UFC-focused". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "LFA 32 results and highlights: Ryan Spann drops Alex Nicholson for comeback title win". MMA Junkie. 2018-01-27. Retrieved 2020-05-30.
- "Contender Series fighters Anthony Hernandez, Jordan Williams sanctioned for failing drug tests". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Multiple UFC 233 fights get new dates, locations after Jan. 26 card scratched". MMAjunkie. 2018-12-12. Retrieved 2018-12-13.
- "UFC Fortaleza results: Markus Perez stuns, chokes out Anthony Hernandez". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Doherty, Dan (2019-08-31). "UFC Shenzhen Results: Anthony Hernandez Submits Tough Jun Yong Park". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2020-05-30.
- "UFC Shenzhen Results: Anthony Hernandez Submits Tough Jun Yong Park". cagesidepress.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Martin, Damon (2020-05-01). "UFC reveals full fight cards for May 13 and May 16 events". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2020-05-04.
- "Knockout! Watch Kevin Holland demolish Anthony Hernandez in just 39 seconds at UFC on ESPN 8". mmamania.com. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Marcel Dorff (2020-11-20). "BJJ specialist Rodolfo Vieira treft Anthony Hernandez tijdens UFC evenement op 16 januari". MMA DNA (in Dutch). Retrieved 2022-02-16.
- Jay Pettry (2021-01-01). "Positive COVID-19 test for Anthony Hernandez pushes Rodolfo Vieira match to Feb. 13". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2021-01-02.
- Vreeland, Daniel (2021-02-13). "UFC 258 Results: Anthony Hernandez Shocks the World, Taps Rodolfo Viera". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "UFC 258 Bonuses: Usman Among Fighters To Nab Performance Checks". MMA News. 2021-02-14. Retrieved 2021-02-14.
- "Anthony Hernandez vs. Punahele Soriano set for UFC Fight Night in June". MMA Junkie. 2021-03-18. Retrieved 2021-03-19.
- "Punahele Soriano krijgt nieuwe tegenstander en nieuwe datum na afzegging Anthony Hernandez". MMA DNA (in Dutch). 2021-05-26. Retrieved 2022-02-16.
- "Anthony Hernandez vs. Dustin Stoltzfus toegevoegd aan UFC evenement op 18 december". MMA DNA (in Dutch). 2021-09-08. Retrieved 2022-02-16.
- Guilherme Cruz and Mike Heck (2021-11-29). "Dustin Stoltzfus vs. Caio Borralho targeted for UFC Vegas 45 with Anthony Hernandez injured". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-11-29.
- "Anthony Hernandez vs. Albert Duraev joins UFC 273 lineup on April 9". MMA Junkie. 2022-02-01. Retrieved 2022-02-02.
- Heck, Mike (2022-03-15). "With Chris Curtis and Albert Duraev out, Dricus Du Plessis now faces Anthony Hernandez at UFC 273". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2022-03-16.
- Staff (2022-03-29). "With Kelvin Gastelum now facing Dricus Du Plessis, Anthony Hernandez welcomes newcomer Josh Fremd at UFC 273". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2022-03-29.
- Bitter, Shawn (2022-04-09). "UFC 273: After Year Plus Layoff, Anthony Hernandez Spoils Josh Fremd's Debut". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-04-10.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2022-07-13). "UFC Fight Roundup: Anthony Hernandez looks to extend winning streak against Marc-Andre Barriault on Sept. 17". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2022-07-14.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-09-17). "UFC Vegas 60 Results: Anthony Hernandez Chokes Out Gritty Marc-Andre Barriault". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-09-17.
- "Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Anthony Hernandez booked for UFC event on May 20". MMA Junkie. 2023-02-22. Retrieved 2023-02-23.
- Heck, Mike (2023-05-20). "UFC Vegas 73 video: Anthony Hernandez mauls Edmen Shahbazyan for third-round TKO". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2023-05-22.
- Mike Heck (June 21, 2023). "Anthony Hernandez vs. Chris Curtis set for Sept. 16 UFC event in Las Vegas". mmafighting.com.
- Alexander K. Lee (2023-08-15). "Roman Kopylov replaces Chris Curtis, fights Anthony Hernandez at Noche UFC". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2023-08-15.
- With Anthony Hernandez out of Noche UFC, Josh Fremd steps in to fight Roman Kopylov (2023-08-23). "With Anthony Hernandez out of Noche UFC, Josh Fremd steps in to fight Roman Kopylov". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2023-08-23.
- Jim Norton; Matt Serra (February 16, 2021). "Anthony "Fluffy" Hernandez, Coach Eric Nicksick, and UFC 258 Recap" (Podcast).
- "MMA 2021 Year in Review: Submission of the Year". 31 December 2021. Retrieved 2021-12-31.
- "The Jitsmagazine 2021 BJJ Awards". 2 January 2022.
- Matthew Petela (January 27, 2022). "Combat Press 2021 MMA Awards: Submission of the Year – Anthony Hernandez vs. Rodolfo Vieira".
- Sherdog.com. "Anthony". Sherdog. Retrieved 2020-05-30.