Andrew Baijan Rohan (born 30 June 1948 in Iraq), an Australian politician of Assyrian descent, was a member of the New South Wales Legislative Assembly representing Smithfield for the Liberal Party from 2011 to 2015.
|Member of the New South Wales Parliament|
26 March 2011 – 28 March 2015
|Preceded by||Ninos Khoshaba|
|Succeeded by||Seat abolished|
|Born||30 June 1948|
|Political party||Liberal Party (Suspended)|
|Residence||Bossley Park, New South Wales|
|Alma mater||University of Baghdad|
Early years and backgroundEdit
Born in Iraq, Rohan completed studies in petroleum geology at the University of Baghdad, graduating with a Bachelor of Science (Geology) in 1970 and a Master of Science (Petroleum Geology) in 1975. Migrating to Australia in 1979, he initially worked as a petroleum geologist for Robertson Research before establishing his own printing business in 1995.
At the 2011 state election Rohan was elected to the normally safe Labor seat with a swing of 18.8 points and won the seat with 54.8 per cent of the two-party vote. His main opponent was the then incumbent sitting member, Ninos Khoshaba, representing Labor. Since the seat was first created in 1988, Rohan's win was the first time the seats has been held by the Liberals. Smithfield was abolished in 2015, mostly replaced by Prospect. Rohan attempted to transfer there, but was defeated.
- "Mr Andrew Baijan Rohan (1948- )". Former Members of the Parliament of New South Wales. Retrieved 12 September 2019.
- "Meet Our First Liberal MP". Fairfield City Champion. Fairfax Media. 29 March 2011. Archived from the original on 7 October 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Kembrey, Melanie (27 March 2011). "Liberals win Smithfield for first time". Fairfield Champion. Fairfax Media. Archived from the original on 13 April 2011. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- Green, Antony (4 April 2011). "Smithfield". NSW Votes 2011. Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Retrieved 3 April 2011.
- "Liberal Party doles out 10-year suspension after councillor's independent mayor bid". 16 August 2016.
- Campaign profile
- Mr Andrew Baijan ROHAN, BSc(Geology), MSc(Petroleum Geology) MP – Parliament of New South Wales
- Twitter Page
- YouTube Channel
- Picasa Photo Albums
|New South Wales Legislative Assembly|
| Member for Smithfield
|This article about a Liberal Party of Australia politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|