Andrew Leslie (shipbuilder)
Born in 1818 in Garth, Dunrossness, Shetland to Christian Allison and Robert Leslie, Leslie later moved to Aberdeen. In 1853 Leslie relocated to Hebburn in North-East England where he founded the shipbuilding company A. Leslie and Company. When Andrew Leslie retired in 1886, A. Leslie and Company merged with the locomotive manufacturer R and W Hawthorn to create Hawthorn Leslie and Company.
In Hebburn, Leslie largely funded St. Andrew's Church which opened in 1873 and built other buildings including homes for his workers, schools for their children. He was married to Maragret Leslie. Leslie also lived at Coxlodge Hall in Gosforth
- Baker, Anne Pimlott. "Leslie, Andrew". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography (online ed.). Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/49317.(Subscription or UK public library membership required.)
- "Andrew Leslie, Hebburn". Rootsweb. 5 October 2004. Retrieved 5 May 2008.
- "Local Information for Hebburn". Town Info. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Hawthorn Shipbuilders". EdinPhoto. Retrieved 5 May 2008.
- "Newcastle upon Tyne". northumbrian-coast.co.uk. Archived from the original on 26 July 2008. Retrieved 5 May 2008. Cite uses deprecated parameter