A. Leslie and Company
Andrew Leslie & Co, Hebburn was a shipbuilding company that was started in 1853 on an 8-acre site at Hebburn Quay, Newcastle upon Tyne. The company later merged with the locomotive manufacturer R and W Hawthorn to create Hawthorn Leslie and Company in 1886, when the founder Andrew Leslie retired.
|Successor||Hawthorn Leslie and Company|
|Fate||Mergers with R and W Hawthorn|
|Headquarters||Newcastle upon Tyne, North-East England|
Number of employees
Between 1854 and 1885 the ship yard built 255 vessels. and in 1866 constructed a dry dock, which exists till present day. The company employed around 2600 men, with more jobs in ancillary trades.
In total company built 258 ships. Some of the better-known ships built by Andrew Leslie & Co include:
- Stanley Bruce The Shipbuilders of Aberdeen
- "Hawthorn Shipbuilders". EdinPhoto. Retrieved 5 May 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Local Information for Hebburn". Town Info. Archived from the original on 8 January 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2008. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Andrew Leslie & Co, Hebburn - History
- Shipbuilder: Andrew Leslie & Co, Hebburn (1854 - 1885) Tyne Built Ships. A history of Tyne shipbuilders and the ships that they built.
- Tantallon Tyne Built Ships. A history of Tyne shipbuilders and the ships that they built.
- Robert Dickinson