Allanfearn railway station
Allanfearn was a railway station located near Culloden, outside Inverness, Highland, Scotland. It was initially named Culloden when opened, but was renamed to Allanfearn in November 1898, to avoid confusion with the station at Culloden Moor on the newly opened direct line from Inverness to Aviemore.
Site of Allanfearn station, 2015
|Original company||Inverness and Nairn Railway|
|5 November 1855||Station opened as Culloden|
|1 November 1898||Station renamed Allanfearn|
|3 May 1965||Station Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Opened by the Inverness and Nairn Railway in 1855, then absorbed by the Highland Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was subsequently closed by the British Railways Board in May 1965, along with the other surviving intermediate stations between Inverness & Nairn as a result of the Beeching Axe.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Castle Stuart Platform
Station closed; Line open
Inverness and Nairn Railway
Station and Line open
The site todayEdit
The closed station buildings survive (next to an automatic half-barrier level crossing) and are now occupied. They are passed by trains on the single track Aberdeen to Inverness Line. Remains of a platform can also be seen.
- "Disused Stations - Allanfearn"Disused Stations Site Record; Retrieved 17 August 2016
- "Allanfearn railway station (site), Highland - 2015" Thompson, Nigel, Geograph.org; Retrieved 17 August 2016
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- RAILSCOT on Inverness and Nairn Railway
- Subterranea Britannica: SB-Sites:Allanfearn Station
- Station on navigable O.S. map
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|