Aldrich Killian is a fictional character appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics. The character first appeared in Iron Man vol. 4, #1 (Jan. 2005) and was created by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov.
|First appearance||Iron Man vol. 4 #1 (January 2005)|
|Created by||Warren Ellis (writer)|
Adi Granov (artist)
Created by Warren Ellis and Adi Granov, the character first appeared in Iron Man vol. 4, #1 (Jan. 2005).
Fictional character biographyEdit
Within the context of the stories, Killian is a scientist who developed the Extremis virus alongside Maya Hansen. He steals a sample of the virus and sells it to domestic terrorists, but, unable to cope with the guilt, he confesses in a note and shoots himself. However, Iron Man later discovered that Maya had a hand in selling Extremis to the domestic terrorists.
In other mediaEdit
Aldrich Killian appears as the main antagonist in Iron Man 3, portrayed by Guy Pearce. Killian is the developer of the Extremis virus, and the founder of the think tank Advanced Idea Mechanics. On why he took the role, Pearce said, "I feel a little more experimental in what I'll take on these days, but I still don't know that I would want to play the superhero myself, since I'm playing a different kind of character in this film... The main difference was that, when I did The Time Machine, I was pretty much in all of it, so it was a really grueling experience. Prometheus and Iron Man are really kind of cameo stuff, so the experience of shooting them... I mean, on some level, it's tricky because you feel like a bit of an outsider. You don’t really live the experience that you do when you're there all day every day with everybody. But at the same time, it can be more fun sometimes because you're just working in concentrated spurts." Pearce described his character as a man "who came into this world with a number of physical disabilities. He’s never been able to accept those limitations though and has spent most of his life trying to overcome them in any way he can. His tenacity and blind determination in fighting for a better life are seen by some as irritating, as he often comes across as obnoxious. He just won’t accept the cards he was dealt, and being as intelligent as he is, has real drive to change and become a different person." Of the character Mandarin, Kevin Feige stated, "The Mandarin is [Iron Man's] most famous foe in the comics mainly because he’s been around the longest. If you look, there’s not necessarily a definitive Mandarin storyline in the comics. So it was really about having an idea." As the film's version of the Mandarin as signified by the dragon tattoos on Killian's chest, he uses Trevor Slattery as a public face for his actions while Eric Savin and Ellen Brandt as enforcers. Killian's scheme is to eliminate President Matthew Ellis, convincing Vice President Rodriguez (portrayed by Miguel Ferrer) to follow in exchange for Rodriguez's disabled daughter (portrayed by Jenna Ortega) getting Extremis to restore a missing right leg. He fights with Tony Stark, whom he overpowers, but is then killed by Pepper Potts (who has been exposed to the Extremis virus), while Slattery and Rodriguez are arrested.
- The Iron Man 3 video game shows Aldrich Killian's subconscious transferred into MODOK (voiced by Nick Sullivan) with the help of A.I.M.
- The Iron Man 3 version of Aldrich Killian appears in Lego Marvel Super Heroes, voiced by Robin Atkin Downes. He and his Extremis soldiers accompany the Mandarin in an attack on Avengers Tower. He and the Mandarin are defeated by Iron Man and Captain America.
- The Iron Man 3 version of Aldrich Killian appears in Lego Marvel's Avengers, voiced by Greg Miller.
- Warren Ellis (w), Adi Granov (p), Adi Granov (i). "Extremis (Part I of VI)" Iron Man v4, 1 (January 2005), Marvel Comics
- Warren Ellis (w), Adi Granov (p), Adi Granov (i). "Extremis (Part VI of VI)" Iron Man v4, 6 (April 2006), Marvel Comics
- Graser, Marc; Kroll, Justin (April 20, 2012). "Guy Pearce bonds with 'Iron Man 3'". Variety. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012. Retrieved April 20, 2012.
- "Iron Man 3: Under the Armor with Guy Pearce". Marvel.com. March 22, 2013. Archived from the original on 2013-03-23. Retrieved March 23, 2013.
- Buchanan, Kyle (August 30, 2012). "Guy Pearce on Lawless, Prometheus, and Finely Calibrated Camp". New York / Vulture.com. Archived from the original on September 3, 2012. Retrieved September 3, 2012.
- "Producer Kevin Feige Talks 'Iron Man 3', How It Relates to 'The Avengers', The Mandarin, Iron Patriot, and More". Empire via Collider. November 26, 2012. Archived from the original on December 15, 2012. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- "'Iron Man 3' Spoilers: The Mandarin Twist Unveiled? Will Fans Be Upset?". Latinos Post, April 21, 2013